What's new

Projector VS TV (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Is it just me or do LCD projectors almost only have advantages over TVs?

I for sure will never buy a TV, I will wait to save $2000-3000 and get an LCD projector to make a huge screen of many many feet in size. For the same price you could only have like a 50 inch TV. Projectors also barely take any place at all and have very high resolutions.

The only disadvantage I see is the bulb having to be replaced every 2000-4000 hours of viewing.

So, why do poeple buy TVs when for the same price they could have a 5 times bigger screen with probably a higher resolution?

What are the advantages of having a TV instead of a projector?

Thanks

Dan_Isaacs

Grip
The effect that ambient light has on sub-5K FPs tends to be a good deal worse than comparably prced RPTVs. Additionally, it's not trivial to incorporate a 9' screen into traditional living room funiture. RPTVs, even huge ones, work better with established ideas about how a TV should look. RPTVs also make cabling easier, since componets can sit right next to it.

Now, none of those are reason to not go with FP. I often fantasize about a nice VPL-10HT and 92" screen. But I couldn't pull it off in my LR.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
With all due respect, most people don't need, want or have the space/setting for a 100" screen just to view TV broadcast. Also FP is more affected by extreneous light than direct views or RPTV. Not to mention the cost of bulb replacement.

Bottom line TVs are more versatile whereas FP is more than less specifically for movie projection.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"FP is more than less specifically for movie projection"

Which is why I think if you are mostly interested in watching movies, FP is the way to go. If I can ever save enough to buy one, that is.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I echo what James said re: watching movies. I have not seen any type of TV duplicate the theatrical experience that a decent FPTV can do. But, if your viewing will be primarily broadcast and/or gaming and then a bit of movie watching then TV is the way to go, at least if you are talking about digital FPTV, then bulb replacement costs must be factored in.

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
After just selling my 57" Sony RPTV and buying a Sanyo PLV-Z1 and putting $1000 back into my pocket. I cant stop grinning watching my 124" Diagonal screen! :D

Daniel Isaac

P.S. Dan Isaacs I just had to post when I saw your name!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks