What's new

projector under $6000 (1 Viewer)

Andrew K.

Auditioning
I have been looking at so many projectors lately my head is spinning. When I go to stores to look at demos I have heard so many things from sales people. Well, I am looking for a projector for $6000 or less. What do you guys think would be the best? The room it is going in well have very little ambient light and the wall it screen will be mounted on is about 20 feet wide and 9-10 feet tall. I thought the screen size should be about 120-150 in. I need your opinion because obviuosly you guys would not be biased to try and sell me a certain product. Here, I know I can get just the facts.

Thanks for the help

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Long Throw or short throw projector?

Infocus Makes good ones ... (long throw)
BenQ makes good ones ... (short throw)

Optoma has an H79 in that range ... (thumbs down from me)

Panasonic and Sanyo have Budget LCD projectors at 2.5K or less ... very good performers ... but also can't go that big for screen size ...

(Yes of course they all say they can, but you pay for it in light output ... or lack of it.)

Both BenQ and Optoma have been going through some bad bulb problems of late ...

Screen size too big for these units ... not enough light output. Better at 100-110 inches.

Regards

Andrew K.

Auditioning
I think what I have liked the most was the InFocus SP 7205 and 7210. Is it worth the money to move up to the 7210? I also have viewed the Sharp XV-Z10,000 and the XV-Z12,000. For the sharp projectors is it worth the money to move up to the XV-Z12,000 model? I have also looked at the BenQ PE8720. These are the projectors I have really looked at and researched. What do you think of them? Is there something I am missing? And finally, are any of those better models worth the money?

Thanks

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if you throw $4,000 more into your budget you can get a true 1920x1080p FP from sony =).

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Optoma ...

Too high brightness out of box ... crushing white and totally discolored ...

Only way to tame it is to bring contrast down an equivalent of 90% from that level. Extremely dim ...

Same characteristic found on 5 separate units now ... spanning the continent. This can't be a coincidence.

Regards

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
huh. That's odd actually, I hadn't heard that problem at all. Though admittedly, I haven't spent any time with a stock H79, just some modded ones with almost 10K:1 on/off CR, so it was kind of a different animal. I'm not a fan of 1-chip DLP in general, but with that much CR it's pretty impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks