What's new

Projector Rounding (1 Viewer)

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
I just got my new projector (Benq PE8700+) and had to hook it up. Well, I placed it on a tabletop at the distance that I will need and the top of the image seems to curve downward on the right hand side (top). Keystoning is straight and the bottom lines up, but then I see curvature just at the top right. Anything I can do about this? Hope I am not stuck with this on such an expensive machine. I didn't see this on the display I saw.

DonRC

Stunt Coordinator
That's the first I've heard of that problem in reading a number of pretty positive reviews on the projector. Is it possible you got a flawed machine?

I haven't bought my projector yet, but the 8700+ is one of my top contenders. What made you decide on this projector, and what other ones did you consider?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
You're sure everything is perpendicular and straight. Even a screen that's not perfectly flat can cause that kind of distortion.
I find it funny that the projector passed at the factory for an obvious defect like that.

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
will check all of the above. I certainly hope its not a factory flaw... dont want the hassle of switching it out.

If the screen were not straight or the projector was not perpendicular, wouldn't the rounding appear at both the top and bottom? and, I do believe the screen is straight. I used a laser level. (maybe the wall is not flat... will check that out)

to answer the other question: I saw some great projectors at the HTE in NYC this year and mosty were out of my price range. I like dthe fact that this one had a DVI input and a great native res. It further put out a great picture when I saw it displayed (a buddy had one as a replacement while his was on repair). Its easy to navigate throughj the menus (unlike some of the older model benq's)... and while it holds little wait in mybook, I got the OK because my wife says "This one is prettier than the other ones" that I loked at. :D

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
OK... proble solved. It appears the angles were all messed up... moved it over a few inches and slid the back to the left a hair and now its all set. Alot of work for a temporary setup. I have to wait until the ceiling mount comes in and then its this stuff all over again. Thanks for the input everyone!!!

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
I'm close on buying the Benq Pe8700 also and I was wondering what size and type of screen are you using.

SimiA

Second Unit
Yeah, that's usually the problem. Everytime I nudge my PJ, I have to reset it to the proper position. Glad to see you're happy with the set-up.
I'm also curious about the screen you're using?
Vb

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
the setup is brand new and I am still setting it all up, so i don't feel comfortable giving an overall review, but will after I put some hours of viewing under my belt.

I do, however, have the screen all set up and I am using the Carada 92 Inch Diagonal Precision 1.78 to 1 High Contrast Grey. So far, the picture looks like it will be FANTASTIC. I will let you know. I will be particularly interested in seeing how it holds up next to the Stewart Firehawk High Contrast Grey that a buddy of mine is using.

While on the HTF Meet in Hollywood last month, I had the opportunity to see the Carada Precision 1.78 to 1 High Contrast White (I believe it was a 120" screen)... looked FANTASTIC!!! I can only assume that the High Contrast Grey will give me more depth in my blacks... I am sure I will be pleased.

Will let you know!

DonRC

Stunt Coordinator
Why did you choose to go with the high contrast gray instead of the high contrast white? Would there be any advantages to going the other way?

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
I spoke with a few people on this subject and they all seemed to say the same thing. Grey will deepen the black tones and give you a better picture. Also was told (from a pretty reliable source) that white should be a first choice for rear projection and grey should be the choice for front.

Just waiting now for my ceiling mount and the project will be good to go! Will post some screen shots and some room pictures when its all said and done.

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
I heard the StudioTek 130 is the way to go if you have control over ambient light and your theater is furnished dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks