What's new

Progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Gavin.F

Grip
What exactly do you need to get progressive scan enabled? Do you need a DVD player and a TV which BOTH support progresive scan, or just one of the components that support it? I know you need to connect the DVD player using component cables, so if anyone can help me with this, Id be most grateful.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You need a progressive scan DVD player and a TV that supports progressive scan. In today’s TVs this will most likely be an HD capable TV. The player needs to be connected to the TV via either component cables or a DVI cable.

Gavin.F

Grip
Yeah cheers, thats what I thought. Its a little more complicated for me though, because I live in the UK, so I need to find a player and TV which support PAL progressive scan. I think Ive got a few products in mind though.

Gavin.F

Grip
Right, I was considering a Toshiba 32ZP38 TV, and a Harman/Kardon DVD 30 player. Would this be ok for PAL progressive scan?

Also any opinions on the products mentioned would be helpful.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A progressive scan TV is a must.

You can get very good progressive scan for everything, not only DVD, using your VCR and your existing interlaced player and a box in between called a de-interlacer, but you could probably spend less for DVD only by getting a progressive scan DVD player.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
Remember: Different DVD players have different deinterlacing chips.

This is the reason why the ancient panasonic dvd players with progressive scan are admired over the newer models that happen to be one fifth the cost.

The RP91, which is one of Panasonic's first Progressive Scan DVD Players, uses the Faroudja de interlacing chip, much acclaimed for its above-par 480i-480p conversion. Newer, cheaper DVD players with Pro-Scan have a problem with the chroma bug, meaning that sometimes red's come up on the screen carrying "drag" or what appears to be pixelated rub.

Just check the "Audio/Video Sources" forum for information on current DVD players that have good Progressive Scan chips. The most current croud pleasers are the Lite On LVD 2001, and the Pioneer DV560AS. The Pioneer's overpriced, and the Lite On has some user perks that seem to pop up, like people being dis-satisfied with its 720p-1080i upconversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks