What's new

Progressive Scan on Toshiba TW40F80? (1 Viewer)

I've been looking for any information on the web on this, but haven't had any luck as of yet. I have the chance to buy a Toshiba TW40F80 for a more than reasonable price, but was just wondering if it will accept a signal from a progressive scan DVD player. I know it is not HDTV-ready as the 40H80 which was released a couple of years after the F80.
The only real reason I'm looking at this TV now is because I don't see being able to afford one of the newer Toshiba models anytime in the near future, and would love to be able to watch my DVDs in widescreen now.
Any help/advice would be apprechiated.
------------------
Nate Thompson

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I know it is not HDTV-ready as the 40H80 which was released a couple of years after the F80.
A monitor must be HD-ready in order to accept a progressive scan DVD player signal. You could use a PS player but only via the interlaced outputs. In other words you would realize no benefit from the extra cost of the progressive player.
If you already have the player you can use it, but not to its greatest capability. If you have neither the TV nor the monitor (and are against saving for an HD-ready set) then I would suggest buying a quality interlaced DVD player instead. PS players are getting better and cheaper all the time, so you will not benefit from buying one now in hopes of using its progressive output in the future. Panasonic's flagship interlaced player (RP80?) has received excellent reviews as one suggestion.
If, however, you are willing to wait/save for the HD set I would highly encourage it. The image and technology are better in every respect and you will be better prepared for the future. And with prices steadily dropping it will be affordable sooner than you think. Also, remember to think in terms of incremental cost when comparing the two.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks