Time Warner HDTV Cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Blair, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

TWC's HDTV cable is now available in my area but I've got a question. I have the Toshiba TW40F80 analog widescreen tv. Can I get a picture using their HDTV settop box? Even if it's down-converted that would be ok as long as it's widescreen.
    I know the answer will probably be no but I'm hoping I can pull this off until I buy a real hdtv. I have component inputs so that's no problem, just the picture question. Will I even have a picture come up or just static or something?
    Has anyone tried this with hd cable or a progressive scan dvd player? What were the results? My mind is telling me this absolutely won't work but I'm just hoping I'm wrong.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Michael St. Clair

My DTC-100 will let you watch the HD channels (OTA and DirecTV) in a 'tall' version on s-video, which a widescreen 480i set can stretch out to the OBR (original broadcast ratio).
    I think the DISH 6000 may do this.
    I am not sure about the SA2000HD that Time Warner uses.
    If you do not get an answer here, try the HDTV Hardware forum at avscience.com.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm not positive on this, but I think you've been duped. Yes, Time Warner does have digital service, but I think that this is only because they are using fibre optic cables from their station to your house, and then it goes back to a single coax.
    As there are too many stations to run through that single cable, I don't think that you'll be all that impressed with the picture. Using a sat dish isn't going to be much better. (I'm opting for OTA transmission.)
    I do hope that I'm wrong on this, but we'll see.
    Glenn

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The 6000 now will let you stretch a 1080i input also ..This is from any broadcast network upconveting 480i to 1080i or hbo HD and showtime HD when they are not showing true HD
    ------------------

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

6. Michael St. Clair

quote: As there are too many stations to run through that single cable, I don't think that you'll be all that impressed with the picture. Using a sat dish isn't going to be much better. (I'm opting for OTA transmission.)[/quote]
    Actually, the transcoding from VSB to QAM doesn't introduce a quality loss, all the error checking is still in place in the original stream, and no additional compression is performed.
    TWC's retransmission agreement with CBS specifies that the retransmission is to be full-bandwidth, i.e. not compressed additionally. I don't know about their other agreements.
    Does the technology exist to allow both cable companies and satellite companies to re-compress HDTV to save bandwidth? Yes, it does. Don't fool yourself into thinking that transponder space is not an issue on satellites! Only time will tell what really happens.
    If you read avsforums.com, you will find people who are ecstatic with their 1920x1080i Time Warner HDTV; many of them have seen HDTV from other sources as well.
    To put this in perspective; QAM let's you use the bandwidth of a potential or existing analog channel (6mhz) for 38.5 mbps of data (2 HDTV channels or 10 SDTV channels); a cable company with good infrastructure has over 750mhz of bandwidth. This is enough room for 60 analog NTSC channels, 10 HDTV channels at full 19 mbps, and 600 SDTV digital channels, all through the pipe at the same time!
    There can be much to not like about cable companies, but don't underestimate how much can fit in that 'little' coax cable coming through the wall!
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on August 19, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

7. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

Thanks for the info! Does anyone on the HTF have TWC HD and if so have you tried viewing it on an analog tv? I'm hoping since I have component inputs and the anamorphic mode that I'll be able to get a down-converted picture.