What's new

Progressive DVD Changer (1 Viewer)

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best progressive scan DVD changer under $700? What is the best at any price? It would double as my CD player as well. Thanks.

Luis A

Second Unit
The only progressive scan "mega" changer that I know of is the Kenwood DV-5900M. It can hold 400 disc, and cost about $1000.00-$1500.00 . Unless new mega progressive scan changers were announced at CES I don't think that there are any others out there.
L
Heres a review if you would like to check it out.
http://www.epinions.com/614426_Kenwo...400_3_Disc_...

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I believe Marantz now has a progressive changer. I can't vouch for their DVD players, buy I am a strong proponent of their CD players.

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking through a magazine and I saw that Denon had a 5 disc changer progressive scan for sale for about 900 I think. I also saw that Harmon Kardon had one as well.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
both marantz and nad have 5 disc progressive players. both are basically of the same build quality. neither exhibits the dreaded chroma bug either. the only issues i have with them (i tested them both out a few weeks ago) is that they take quite a while to power on as opposed to sigle disc players, and i found their transports to be quite slow. the latter might just be a characteristic of carosel changers in general, though. i've not tested out 5 disc changers before.

Han

Second Unit
The Denon 4800 5 disc changer should be about $1200 US.
What bugs me is the Denon and the Kenwood Sovreign DVD changers seem to be awfully slow switching from one disc to the next. 5-Disc CD changers at $100 take 15-45 seconds less time to switch!

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Scott:

I got cold feet, after all the bad reviews (I even got the software upgrade to use once it arrived). A friend of mine has it, and he doesn't mind living with its quirks. In Canada, it's $1,000. Could have got it for $700. or so. Got a deal under $400. CAD for the Sony 600 changer... does all that I need, and no quirks.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
P.S. Progressive Scan... I'm still asking a zillion questions. I thought maybe if I had progressive scan, it would be better when I get a high-def TV or digital TV or one of the other names for "newer, better" TV.

Apparently, if the TV has the double in it, the DVD doesn't need to be Progressive Scan. In a British mag., I read about prog. scan units you can add between DVD and screen. Maybe ... IF I get a better TV and IF I want a progressive scan DVD player... maybe I'll just sell the Sony. I took it with a 5-year extended warranty from Sony, not from a retailer. That gets sold with it (transferable).

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a single disc progressive scan play Tosh 4700 which I've decided to keep and I got a Yamaha CD player CDC-685 ($179 shipped at ABT, an authorized dealer). I really only want ed the changer for CD's, but I didn't want to lose the progressive scan the picture really is awesome on my Mit 65809. - Thanks for letting me know though. After this whole gets figured out a little bit I jump on the multi-disc progressive.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Scott:

A single DVD player with a multi-CD would be good for me, too... it's only the CDs I want multiple of. I just don't feel like putting more real estate into two pieces of equipment instead of one.

Your set-up is probably giving you better results on both CD and DVD. I'm happy enough with what I get from the Sony (sold my old (very old) CD player and replaced it with the changer).

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sony has announced one for 2002:

DVP-CX875P, an impressive 301-disc CD/DVD changer with progressive scan output.

That's all the details I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks