What's new

processors and amps? what companys do make these setups? (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all

im curius about this processor and amp stuff ... as some may know im quite a newbie to HT. and i currently own a Pioneer 810s but once i move into my new apartment my roomate is purchasing my reciver off of me ... i was thinking about how to replace it .. i will make $250 off the reciver .. and will probably have $850 after taxes not including the 2 from the reciver ... well to my question .. would it be a better investment to get into the processor/amp world .. or just get a new reciver ? .. im not one to like to keep buying i try to by smart so i wont have to again ... is it a wise invest ment to get a entry level processor/amp set up? please tell me you're opinions and who makes decent equipment ... well help me out please i want to save cash long term wise .. and i am willing to spend it all on a good processor or amp.. and wait for the otehr .. i wont have much time to sit down after the move .. so my HT/Music set up wont be used much for a while .. important factors .. i have a pair of KLH Towers M65T's Mains (you all dont like them but for less then half the retail price and quality of sound to me they are good).. and im planing on a 50/50 HT/Music setup but if neighbors allow loud music wit wil be about 35/65 thank you all and let me know if there is any more info you require

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i take it nobody has advice :frowning: thats ok ooo i got a bose 801 tower for free in full working condition .. its a useless speaker to me with out its mate what should i do with it? these babies go for like $500 each hmmm its ither the 801 or a 701 they look alike i think .. i know i saw it at the bose store just dont remember the number .... hmm its a good lamp stand atleast :) if i wer to sell it how much should i ask for??

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Lyden I don't think you can get separates which means a separate preamp and separate amplifier for $1000. You'll have to double the money if you want to get the cheapest combo. The cehapes I know of is the Outlaw 950/750 combo. Which is the Outlaw 950 preamp and the Outlaw 750 amp. I don't know of one any cheaper.

Daniel Smith

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
im willing to spend all on one component and then save for the next .. i was thinking about doing monoblocks .. can i do that or am i in a totaly differant ball park here? ... i was thiking about getting the processor first but would it be wiser to get a few amps? ... i do own a pre amp but its quite old .. its sitting in my grandfathers shed and as far as i know it still works .... i used to have an old component system i think it was made by mitsubishi.

DanaA

Screenwriter
If I'm understanding your financial situation correctly, you'll have somewhat over 1K to spend. In this case, I'd recommend you audition the Rotel 1055 receiver. From what I hear, it has a beautiful pre-pro section and you'll be able to add a power amp down the line. In the meantime, the receiver itself has a nice power amp built into it.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
As for the original question -- separates offers a couple of benefits: better isolates the amplification from the signal processing and switching (with potential benefits in sound quality), and if you choose to invest in good amps you can likely use them for a good long while, replacing only the processing section (the pre/pro) as new formats appear.

With ~$1,100 to spend, it will be pretty difficult to get all the way into separates. The Outlaw 950 that Daniel mentions costs $900. Other pre/pros are typically going to cost even more -- the Rotel 1066 typically sells for at least $1200 I believe, with the B&K Ref 50 and Anthem AVM-20 costing over $2000. An Outlaw five channel amp (the 755, 200Wx5) costs around $1300. Other five-channel amps are going to be similarly priced or more expensive. Monoblocks will typically cost more per channel. For some comparisons, check out this chart I cooked up a year or so ago. It shows a few typical pre/pros and amps plus some flagship receivers (and the Outlaw 1050, which doesn't really fit with the rest, but I put it together as part of a discussion at Outlaw's forum).

For your budget, DanaA's suggestion is a very good one. If you were keeping the Pioneer (which has pre-amp outs) and could add to the $850, you could invest in a good amp and use the Pioneer as a pre/pro, but since it sounds like it's already spoken for that's probably not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks