What's new

Problems with Nightmare on Elmstreet DVD (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I have a Dad who can't stand widescreen, so I tried to show him the Nightmare on Elmstreet DVD which also has the full screen version on it, but there was no way to play it like this. So, on this disc, how do you.

OAR FOREVER

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There may be a quirk with the Nightmare Collection Box set where it does not include the full-screen version like the standalone version of the first film. I have a vague recollection of this, but it was a non-issue for me, so I may be confusing it with another film.

Regards,

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
If you can't see the choice, it's not on the disc. Plain and simple.

You may want to choose a different disc for your presentation. I doubt that Nightmare on Elm Street is going to persuade anyone. Possibly a 2.35 film?

-Chad

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Nightmare On Elm Street films found in the New Line Platinum Series box set do not have open-matte/pan & scan versions.

The "red cover" mass market versions of the films do have the open-matte/pan & scan versions of the film. You can find these under the Special Features menu.

If you want to show your dad the benefits of widescreen, try using these featurettes:

Die Hard: Five Star Collection's "Why Letterbox" featurette

Basic Instinct: Special Edition's "Cleaning Up Basic Instinct" featurette

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home's "Director's Series" featurette

The Basic Instinct featurette also shows how films look different when altered for television audiences.

For films:

Stepmom

Blade Runner

The Black Hole

Titanic

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
sorry to bring this one back but i still can not find it. the only things i found in the special features are "audio, commentary, and theartical trailer". nothing on how to change the screen size.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Which version of the DVD do you have? If it's the one that came in the Nightmare box set (with a black snapper case), then it doesn't have the full-screen option. If the DVD has a red snapper case, then it should have the full-screen option. When you select "Play Film", it should ask you whether you want widescreen or full-screen.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i have the red version. when i go to play movie, it goes right to the movie in glorious widescreen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Maybe try turning it over? I haven't seen the red box versions.

Besides, as was said, NOES is not a good example, since it was shot open matte and had very few special FX shots

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I think a great movie for demonstrating widescreen vs. pan+scan is Multiplicity. The panning and scanning is so severe it makes the fullscreen version virtually unwatchable. It's just sick.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ben Hur is very good. There are plenty of P&S shots in the documentary you can use for easy comparioson. ESPECIALLY the chariot race

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
At least you can explain the advantages. I have explained the advantages to my father and for whatever reasons he still does not like widescreen. However, he is entitled to his opinion (even if it is wrong:))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks