What's new

Problems with my soundcard and processor (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Problem #1: I'm currently having an issue with my sound card right now. Actually, it's not a separate card, but it is built into the mobo which is the Leadtek K7ncr18G-Pro. It seems to be a good all in one mobo, but it's had issues.

Here's when the problem started. About a month ago the video aspect messed up (had to hit F8 to fix that). Then after my cousin and I fixed that issue, I was not able to log into the computer at start-up. It said there were fatal errors or something like that. I never used a password with my user name, so I'd just hit OK. (BTW, I'm runnin Windows XP Pro) Ever since I've had to make a new user/login name , the sound has been messed up. It states that there is not an audio device connected. I figured I could just reload the drivers off of the cd included with the mobo. Well, as it was nearly finished installing the drivers a pop-up opened stating that there was an error and that "Access is denied". I'm at a total loss as to what to do. Is this related to the username mess-up? If so what can I do? It really sucks not having sound!

Problem #2: The processor I purchased for my computer is the AMD XP 2000+/266 Athlon which is supposed to run at 1.67ghz, but when my computer starts up and in the system info area it only states that my processor is running at 1.250ghz. WTF? Did I get a wrong processor? I guess I didn't verify that it was the correct processor when I received everything from Newegg.com. Or is there just a messed up setting somewhere?

Thanks!

Link to Motherboard

Link to Processor (Retail edition)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
for problem #2,

your FSB is set to 100Mhz instead of 133MHz. you need to change a jumper on the mobo or (more likely) a setting in the bios somewhere

12.5 (multiplier) X 100 (fsb) = 1250
12.5 (multiplier) x 133.34 (fsb) = 1667

for problem #1, I'd disable everything related to the onboard audio in the bios, then boot up and uninstall the drivers completely (remove INF files and lingering registry entries). then re-enable and install latest drivers

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Thanks Matt.

I'll try all of that tomorrow. It's time for bed now!

EDIT: Matt, I am looking in the manual and it can also be set to 166mhz. What's that for? Overclocking?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Nope, the 166 stting is for the newer AMD processors that run at a 333Mhz bus speed.

Brent

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Well, I got the processor up to the correct setting. That sure helps out a lot! I just can't seem to get the audio part fixed. In the BIOS, there's only two things that are related to audio which are: Primary AudioCodec (Onboard or AMR/CNR) and AC97 Audio (Enable/Disable). Haven't found anything that actually states "Onboard Audio" or the likes. Also, when I look at the hardware under the Sound/Audio devices(which is in Control Panel) all that shows up is some audio codecs. After I install the drivers, which never works, a "Multimedia control" option comes up but it states that the drivers are not installed. So I tried reinstalling them and that is where I run into the error and the message "Access is denied".

Where do I go to delete the INF and registry files or any other files that need to be deleted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks