Problem with S/PDIF out to Anthem AVM 2

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThucN, Apr 11, 2003.

1. ThucN

ThucN Agent

When I connect the S/PDIF out from my Creative SB Live soundcard to my Anthem AVM 2 pre-amp processor, the AVM does not detect a signal. It doesn't detect both Dolby Digital bitstreams and normal PCM.

Before the AVM, I was using an inexpensive Kenwood receiver, and was able to receive DD and PCM digital bistreams using this receiver. However, replacing the receiver with the AVM leads to the problem described above (does not detect the digital signal).

Of note: the AVM correctly handles the digital signal when I hook up a standalone DVD player to it.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? Or has experienced a similar problem when switching receivers/pre-amp processors? I find it strange that a $350 receiver is more adept at handling a digital signal than a ~$3000 pre-amp processor.

Thanks

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

certain models of the SBLive output too high a voltage on the SPDIF line (5V instead of .5V I believe), so it's possible you have one of those. Exactly what model SBLive do you have? I think it's all value models prior to the 5.1's that are affected

3. ThucN

ThucN Agent

My SB card is the Live 5.1 X-Gamer.

After spending an entire evening digging around in the AVS Forum, I believe that you're right when you say the digital out is outputting a 5V signal. In fact, it's common knowledge (at AVS anyway) that all SBLive cards, with the exception of a few models, output 5V through the digital out.

Now the question is how do I fix this without having to buy a new soundcard? SBLive has several add-on adapters which will output the correct S/PDIF voltage, but I would like a cheaper solution if possible.

I think a coax to optical converter would do the trick. But would the converter be able to handle the 5V coax input?

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

that might work, but given the quality of the pre-amp you are using, you owe it to yourself to feed it with something better than a SBLive =P