What's new

Problems with Constant Use? (1 Viewer)

Vern.S

Grip
Has anyone seen problems with their RPTV if it is constantly in use. My current 27" set is always on. (My wife and I work different shifts.)

I am considering a Pioneer 533 or a Toshiba 57H82. Has anyone had a problem due to constant use, assuming the contrast is turned down!

Vern

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
hmm that is a good question. well for the first few hundred hours, imo it is important that you let the set break in properly, meaning adjusting the picture from day one and also turning it of for a few hours after being on for a long time. also don't watch to much of the burn in channels like CNN and TNT. i'm sure other will give better answers but these are my suggestions. good luck.

Vern.S

Grip
Is there a proper burn-in procedure for a RPTV? I don't think that I've ever seen one.

If I get a new RPTV it will propably get turned on and stay on, unless I am warned to a different procedure.

Vern

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Phosphors start wearing out the moment you turn a set on. The more the set runs, the more the phosphors deteriorate.

You really should give a TV—direct-view or rear-projection—some "downtime."

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'm a bit guilty of that "if I'm home the tv's on" thing too. Try keeping that 27" set for background noise or news and casual viewing, and only use the rptv for stuff you're really going to pay attention to.

Vern.S

Grip
There really won't be any room for my old 27" screen after I get a new RPTV.

The current entertainment center will be history.

So is using a 53-57" RPTV for background noise/casual viewing by my family during the day really a bad idea?

It really would be watched almost 24/7, mostly 480i during the day and DVD/1080i (2 channels only from Charter HD!) at night.

Vern

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Vern,

If you adjust it properly it won't be too much of a problem to have it on a lot. Turn contrast down to under 40% and calibrate with the AVIA disc.

The CRTs in a projection set work a lot harder than the one in a direct view model to produce comparable brightness, so if you can control roomlight so you won't have to run the rptv as bright as your current set it will help prolong it's life.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned a TW40X81 (see my previous post for information on it's demise) and used it for about 6 hours a day for 3.5 years. It was ISF calibrated and I never used a brighter mode, and I did not really have any problems with "phosphor phade". The set still looked excellent up to the day the self destruct code was sent.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to all the other good advice you have received in this thread, I would also strongly recommend that you buy an extended warranty (service plan) and a decent power strip with under-voltage protection (like the Panamax 8) -- most people think just in terms of surges, but you never know when a brownout will hit you.

Vern.S

Grip
Bob,

An extended service plan for 5 years is being strongly considered.

Since I have a computer background, I am also considering a APC battery backup unit to totally isolate the RPTV from the local 110VAC lightning rod. The RPTV I'm considering says that it consumes 230W. Would a 300W UPS do the trick? I'm somewhat gun shy about this selection because I was recently corrected by generator documentation about a 750W sump pump actually requiring a 3000 watt backup generator due to start-up current of the electric motor.

Live and learn . . .

Is anybody using a battery backup for their gear?

Vern

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you're getting an EW, you might not need the surge protection since most seem to cover that(!). Sounds kinda strange to me, but check the EW to see.

_Man_

Vern.S

Grip
_Man_

I will definitely check the EW for surge protection coverage. I would expect this to be an "Act of God" type of non-coverage.

Vern

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Vern a normal computer UPS is not ideal for HT gear due to not replicating a perfect sine wave. I ran into this issue about a month ago.Do some research first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks