What's new

Problem with Turntable (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
First, let me preface my post by saying that while I'm very technically minded, turntables are a complete mystery to me :)

I borrowed my parents turntable (Sony PS-LX430) in order to listen to some of my old Metallica records. I picked up a new copy of The White Stripes' Elephant and I'm strangely having trouble playing the second disc. It starts to spin, and after a couple of seconds it stops. At first I thought the turntable was having some sort of mechanical failure...but I'm still able to play all my other records, including the first Elephant disc.

I'm totally clueless, so if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Sounds more like a DVD failure. :D Seriously though, tell me a little more about what happens? Does the record have groves all the way to the end? Is it a regular 33 1/3 size? So do you hear anything at all? Is the needle tracking through ANY grooves or does it skate away to the end?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. The arm doesn't even move...the needle never comes in contact with the record. It just spins a couple revolutions (to just about the time when the arm usually moves over and drops the needle), and then stops. Not that it's important, but the record is a clear red color as opposed to the first disc which is opaque white and plays fine.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

GuyMaren

Agent
My guess is that the TT uses some sort of optical system to determine record size. Does it have an automated system to position and lower the tone arm? If yes, try placing an opaque record under the red one and see what happens.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Bingo! That did it. I was thinking of a sensor, but I never thought about an optical one.

Thanks so much for the help! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks