What's new

problem with Toshiba 83 models (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
I recently got the Toshiba 42H83 and have noticed faint horizontal lines across the screen. They cover the entire screen and are noticable on all my dvds, especially on flesh tones and brighter backgrounds. I've tried both a progressive scan and an interlaced player and nothing seems to fix it. Someone else called it raster ringing. I also believe the lines are present on older Toshiba models as well. Is there anyway to fix the problem? I haven't had a chance to try out any 1080i material so the problem may or may not exist there and it could be caused by the 540p upconversion. I really love the tv other than this problem. If anyone knows any tweaks to solve the problem I would love to hear them. thanks

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
david- Perhaps you got a defective set? I just got that same model and I sit rather close to the TV (less than 5 feet away) and don't notice any lines at all. Most of my viewing involves DVD material.

Keep in mind that I have calibrated my TV with Video Essentials and I've performed the 9 point convergence.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
I got a 65H83 last week, and I could see the lines on DVDs in progressive mode, and also over the composite input for cable. I switched the TV's resolution for DVDs to 1080i, and switched to a s-video cable for cable TV. I now do not see the lines anywhere.

This may be the dreaded raster ringing we've read about, but a different cable or setting may help.

Paul Pratt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Pratt
Best Buy was issued a Recall notice for the Toshiba 83 sets briefly you may want to see if you got one of the recalled sets to find out.

david*mt

Second Unit
Kevin, can you tell me how to set the resolution to 1080i as to eliminate the lines on my DVDs? It definetly sounds like the raster ringing to me. By the way, if I set the resolution to 1080i, does that mean all my DVDs at 480p will have to be upconverted to 1080i by the TV? And does that effect picture quality at all? Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What mode are you viewing your DVD's in? If you are not in "Full" mode, you may be seeing scanlines that are magnified by one of the zoom modes (specifically Theater Wide 2). To troubleshoot:

Make sure your DVD player is set to "16:9" output.

Watch all anamorphic widescreen DVD's in the TV's "Full" mode.

Watch all non-anamorphic with the TV set to "Theater Wide 2".

Watch all 4:3 with the TV set to "Natural".

Also, what distance are you watching from? If you are too close, you will be able to distinguish scanlines, though you'd have to be really close to see them on an anamorphic DVD. It is probably the aspect ratio setting on the DVD player or the viewing mode on the set. The "Theater Wide" modes on a Toshiba can really make the scanlines stand out, especially if you forget to set the DVD player to 16:9 (widescreen) output.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Raster ringing is a set of vertical lines running top to bottom on the left side of the TV image. It's main characteristic is that it looks like a ripple effect on water when you toss a stone in. Lines bunched together at first and spreading out as they get further out from the edge.

Regards

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
david*mt,
Press menu on the TV's remote, and from the first menu item scroll down. I'm at work and can't remember the exact name, but you can toggle between 1080i and 540p. I did not notice a difference in picture quality other than the lines being gone.

Jeff,
I keep the TV in "Full" mode for DVDs. My player is a JVC S60, which will automatically scale (properly flagged) non-anamorphic disks.

Michael,
Okay, what I was seeing is not raster ringing. These were horizontal lines, slightly thicker than a scan line, and equally spaced for the full height of the screen.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The 42H83 is really a carry-over model from last year and it does not have the new HDSC with a choice of 540p or 1080i scanning.

david*mt

Second Unit
I do have my dvd player set up properly and am watching my dvds in full mode. Can I switch to 1080i in the service menu? By the way, how do I get into the service menu?

david*mt

Second Unit
I figured out how to get into the service menu but how do I do anything in it? After pushing mute twice, holding it, and then pushing menu on tv I get an "S" in the upperright corner and when I press menu on the remote it then says "RCUT 83H" in the upper lefthand corner. I guess I'm in the service menu but I can't seem to do anything it.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
My advice is not to change anything in the service menu unless you know what you're doing. Nothing in the service menu is in plain english and really, the only thing of interest to an regular end-user is perhaps the service convergence system.

david*mt

Second Unit
I've tried everything but cannot get the lines to go away. I believe it has to do with the 540p upconversion because I went to Bestbuy and display model which was running 1080i didn't have this problem. Is this very probable? Has anyone else with the problem had the lines go away when viewing something in HD? I don't have HD yet. If in fact it is caused by the 540p upconversion, would using one of the new dvd players with the DVI output and setting the player to output 1080i instead of 480p fix the problem? If I am correct, my tv would then recognize the signal as 1080i and no upconversion would occur thus fixing the problem. Could someone please respond to this. I'm just a newbie and would like to hear someone else's opinion. I really love the tv except for those lines and don't want to return it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks