What's new

Problem with my Tempest? (1 Viewer)

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

My Tempest just arrived by Canada Post today. It appears to have been shipped from the dealer in the original shipping carton provided by Adire (seems well packed).

Anyhow......when I opened it up to take a looksee I noticed that part of the outer ring of gasket like material is loose. I'm talking about the ring that goes around the outer rim of the basket where the bolt holes are. It seems to be made up of layers of compressed fibre with a cork like layer on the surface. Would it suffice just to sparingly glue it back in place? I'm not even sure of it's function unless it's to offer some protection to the driver or the foam ring between the cone and the basket. As you can see I'm not very knowledgeable in this area and would have called the dealer, but he is away this week. Any help offered will be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
How loose is it? Is it about to fall off? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. To my knowledge if you mount the driver normaly (cone facing out of cabinet) the gasket has no purpose but to maybe add some strength to the foam surround bond. I could be wrong though but my tempest is fine and I cut away a little bit of the gasket to fit 1/4" bolts in the mounting holes.

Cam S

Screenwriter
My Shiva has the same problem, that Cork ring is almost completely off now, ARGH.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Some people remove the cork ring you speak of. Only real purpose it can serve is to protect the surround when you place the driver upside down on a flat surface or to make isobaric clam shell mounting really easy.

Glue it back on, or rip it all the way off. Doesn't matter.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I used elmer's glue all and spread it with my finger and it worked great.

If you can't fit the nozzle in, just peel the whole section off and glue it on.

I like the way it looks so I'm keeping it.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
just peel the whole section off and glue it on.

>>>>>>>>>>>

That is the best way to do it.

Adire recently replaced one of my Tempests and its ring was falling apart so I pulled apart all the weak areas and applied some glue pressed them back on and everything is perfect.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
The ring has zero function at all for our applications, so do not worry . Tug gently on each portion and if they want to come apart do this and glue them back on. Its not a big deal at all. I would not recommend pulling it completely off because you could damage the surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks