What's new
World Wide Stereo

Problem with DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Doug Brown

Auditioning
Just bought a Pioneer DV-563A DVD player, a Yamaha RX-V2400 Receiver, and a Def Tech 5.1 surround system. If I play a DVD-Audio disc using the multi-channel input, I am getting no output from my subwoofer (I use the LFE out from the receiver). I get discrete surround in all the other speakers. What gives?

I do get subwoofer output when I play DVD-Video discs.

728x90

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Since you're using the multi channel input do you have a cable running from the sub out on the DVD player to the sub in on the receiver? It may sound like a stupid question but it's the first thing that I would check........

Doug Brown

Auditioning
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly. Also popped in Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (SACD). No subwoofer output with that either.

Ed Cherry

Auditioning
The mixes on DVD-As & SACDs are all over the place.Some use the .1 channel for LFE ... some don't .... some use it for full range. No standardization yet!!

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,
In the setup menu, what are your settings for the speakers (large or small)? Is the sub on or off? Try setting it up with speakers set to small and sub on. Also, due to the funny bass management in the Pioneer, most people (including myself) end up setting the speaker output to variable and running the subwoofer around 10 db higher than the other speakers.
Jeff

By the way, I get a subwoofer signal with both of the discs you mentioned using the 563 and Yamaha receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks