What's new

Problem with car door, need some help.... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Hey guys, I have a problem with my car, and I thought someone on here might have encountered it before, or know what to do. It's not major, but annoying.:thumbsdown:

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, and I have a severe case of the squeaks on my drivers side door. What it SOUNDS like is the weather stripping on the door is rubbing against the weather stripping on the door frame, and thus squeaking occurs. That is the only thing I can figure it is. It only happens while on bumpy roads. I can open my door when it's happening, and the squeaking stops. My door isn't loose on the hinges, I have checked.

I know the dealer won't do anything about it. A friend suggested I put some Armor All or light coating of Vasoline on the weather stripping. Haven't tried that yet though. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I know I can turn my stereo up louder:D , but I would like a more permanent solution. Thanks guys!:emoji_thumbsup:

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
The spray protectant is definitely worth a try. I guess there's no way the noise could be something loose inside the door?

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Karl,

It's definitely coming from around the door seal. I have a system in my Jeep, and the doors are dynamatted and everything, so nothing's loose there. I guess I will try to spray on lubricant of some kind.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Don't use "protectant", most of them are tacky when dry and will make the noise worse.

A shot of WD-40 should cure the problem for now, but you should go to an auto supply store and get a tube of silicone gel lubricant. Squeeze a bit onto a clean cloth and rub it into the weatherstrip. This will lubricate and protect the rubber and should last 6 months to a year.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Thanks Steve. I actually thought about checking into that today. I wasn't keen on using Armor All, so I was going to go into Auto Zone and see what kind of spray or gel lubricants they had.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the same problem I had with my 97 Acura Integra. I took the car to multiple dealers and they couldn't find the source of the problem, although they do acknowledge the existence of it. I finally solved the squeaking problem by lubing the door lock mechanism (whatever that's called) that latches the door to the body of the car. I am using a lubricate from Radio Shack called "Lube Gel"; it's made with Teflon, waterproof, and comes in a toothpaste-like tube. It used to come in a grey colored tube, but now it comes in a white colored tube. It should be under $3.00 a tube. What I did was squeeze some out from the tube and spread it over that locking mechanism. The squeaking stopped altogether. Every 9 months or so, I will check and add the lubricant as required. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks