What's new

Problem: TV volume coming through in error (1 Viewer)

Mark__T

Agent
Hi

I can't figure this one out.

Here are my components:

A/V receiver: Pioneer VSX-D711

TV: Panasonic PT-40LC12

DVD: Panasonic RP62

HD Digital Cable Box: Motorola DCT5100

When I went to turn on my receiver to listen to FM and turned the volume up. Not only did the FM volume increase, the TV volume also increased?

The TV volume also come through in AUX,CDR/TAPE,VIDEO,CD modes.

The TV volume does not come through in VCR/DVR or DVD/LD or TV/SAT modes.

This is all when the TV is set on Main or Normal mode.
The volume is turned down all the way on the TV.

In Component2 mode TV volume only comes through in AUX mode which is the way it was set up - so no problem there.

In Component1 mode the DVD volume comes through on DVD/LD mode which is no problem. The TV volume comes through in AUX with no TV picture which I guess is no problem and same with FM-only the FM volume comes through.

In RGB mode-which nothing is set to the DVD volumes comes through in DVD/LD mode with no picture and again the same with FM and AUX.

The desired set up was for the TV volume to come out of the TV speakers unless the AV receiver is on and AUX on component2 is set or DVD volume in Component1 and DVD/LD is set.

So I can't figure out why the TV volume is coming through as described above.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Mark

Mark__T

Agent
Does anyone know of a different forum I should try with this question? Is there one out there that perhaps is specific to set-up problems?

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
Your post is a bit confusing, but do you mean the volume from the tv's built-in speakers goes up when you turn up the volume on the receiver? Are you using the remote or the volume knob on the receiver?

Mark__T

Agent
No
I am talking about the TV noise or volume comes through the stereo speakers in all the situations I listed. The volume on the TV speakers make no sound when muted or turned down all the way. For example on the FM, I hear both the FM music AND TV volume through the stereo speakers. The TV volume setting is on mute or down to zero.

I can't figure out why out of nowhere I can hear the TV when I only want to listen to FM. If I turn the TV off, then only music will play. But I like to listen to music and watch TV at the same time.

I hope that clears it up at least a little bit.

Mark

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I would disconnect everything from the receiver except the cables which come from the TV, then listen to the FM tuner, if you still hear the TV then try moving the cables to a different input. When you say you hear the tv you mean it it clearly audible while listening to the radio right? There will always be a very low level of cross-talk between analog inputs, but I'm not sure if that would happen with the FM tuner. You could have a defective receiver.

Mark__T

Agent

Ok, but will someone help me hook it back up if I screw it up? (of course I mean help me via this forum) Because I really had a hard time connecting it the first time.

Mark

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator

Sure :)

If you have a digital camera you could take some pictures of the setup and send them to me, then I could see if something is connected wrong. ;)

Sounds to me like something is defective with the receiver though, because that shouldn't happen.

Mark__T

Agent
I got it

"It sounds like your TV's audio is plugged into an analog OUTPUT of your receiver, not an INPUT".

Thanks for your help. I thought the digital camera idea was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I SO wish someone would have mentioned it when I struggling several months back. I still might do that and have you look at what I do have and hear what you have to say and see if improvements can or should be made.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks