What's new

Problem programming macros on universal remote (1 Viewer)

Steven_ R

Agent
OK - I did it! I programmed my brand new RS - 2104 remote with several advanced codes and two macros. Very exciting, BUT, the macros only work properly when I'm first turning the power on to all my devices. I set up one to watch DVDs and one to watch cable TV. Each macro includes the "power" command for the receiver and TV and either the DVD or cable box, as the case may be. But, what do I use when I have the system devices turned on and set to say cable, and then want to switch to DVD. When I run the macro for DVD, then, of course the macro switches the TV and receiver off. Do I need separate macros to run when the system is already powered on vs. off? What am I doing wrong?

This programming stuff is both exciting and frustrating at the same time.

Thanks.

Steve

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
When I run the macro for DVD, then, of course the macro switches the TV and receiver off.
Some TV's and receiver have discrete on/off commands. In other words, if the TV is on, a second press of an ON button won't turn it off. You have a separate OFF button.
Having said that, I'm in the same boat as you. What I always do is power down between changes. So, if watching cable and want to switch to listening to music, I first hit my macro for TV OFF, then the CD ON macro. Going between cable and DVD, I programmed my macro to always assume the TV is already on, so it just switches the receiver to DVD and turns on the DVD player.
Check out the best remote resource:
Remote Central

Steven_ R

Agent
Thanks Jeff. I'll look through my code sheets to see if there are discrete on/off switches.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks