What's new

pressure ratings, psi, psia, psid, psig, what do they mean? (1 Viewer)

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a pressure transducer and I'm running into these different ratings. I know what psi is, but what do the other ratings mean? They also come as absolute or gauge, whats the difference between the two?

Also does anyone know a good online place for pressure transducers? So far digikey has been the best source I have found. Thanks

E

Eric Kahn

PSIA is pounds per square inch absolute, meaning that 0 is 0 psi or a complete vacuum, normal air pressure would be about 14.5 on a PSIA guage

guage pressure is PSI over atmosperic, reads zero in normal air pressure

I believe Psid is differential pressure between 2 sides of a system

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
AS Eric pointed out, PSIA is psi Absolute, i.e. includes pressure of air (approx. 14.7 at sealevel).

PSIG is psi Gauge, i.e. does not include air pressure. Add 14.7 to get PSIA.

PSID is psi differential, checks for delta-P across things like filters, pumps, etc. Is technically also psi-g, but since they (usually) cancel out on both sides, that is usually ignored...

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of transducers are you looking for? There are differential pressure transducers that use a pizeo crystal and a charge amp to measure pressure differences and absolute pressure transducers that use a diaphram and strain gauges to determine pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks