Preparing for LSATs in Canada?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elliott Willschick, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I am planning on applying to law school in about two years. I want to get ready for the LSATs, which I am planning on taking next year. Does anyone have any good suggestions on preparing? I realize it's not like studying for a normal test but there are many study guides and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few? Does it matter if they are American guides or should I look for Canadian books?

Thanks

2. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

When I did it (in NY, not Canada), I took Kaplan. I don't know if there's Kaplan in Canada, though. If not, I'm sure there's something comparable. Don't sweat the LSAT. All it does is determine what law school you get in, which then in large part determines how good of a job you get, how happy you'll be, and how much money you'll have the potential to make. So it's not like there's any pressure or anything!
    -Erik

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    As is true with most multiple-guess tests, you need to get the "rhythm" of the questions. I'm not sure you can really study for the LSAT but I know that I'm glad that I worked several old ones before taking it. I took no "prep course" and got a 94th percentile score - and this at age 39 after being out of school and test-taking for over 17 years.

4. Elliott Willschick

I actually found this website http://www.lsac.org which was quite helpful. I tried their sample one and didn't do too badly. Erik, thanks for the help. Any other advice about the job in general? I have actually had many people try to turn me away from the profession. They say there are too many lawyers and that it is extremely difficult to get a job.
    I can't wait to hear all of the lawyer jokes. I don't take offense so you guys can't keep firing away.

5. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

6. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Nah, it's not hard to get a job if you're in a top-tier law school at or near the top of your class. I graduated in May 2001, and landed a great job. If you go to to some backwater law school no one's ever heard of, you're not going to even get your foot in the door at a prestigious firm. Of course, that may not be what you want, anyway. Alot of idealists go to law school -- those who will work for next to nothing so long as they're saving a tree or trying to change some social policy. Good for them; it's less competition for the rest of us.
    And yes, there's a ton of lawyers already. I practice in Washington, D.C. (and northern Virginia), where there's more lawyers per capita than anywhere else in the world. And none of us is going hungry. Go to law school. The only hard part of it is getting in.
    Best,
    -Erik

7. Elliott Willschick

Well this thread has been very helpful. This weekend I'm going to try some more practice exams to see what my score is. I haven't been doing badly on some single questions so I'll see what happens.
    I'm not too concerned about saving any trees, or helping any dead beats for that matter. So enjoy some new competition. [​IMG]

8. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Make sure to get your hands on some old tests. Any book you look in for LSAT tests are not gonna be as good as getting actual older copies of tests which are released.

One major word of advice. Make sure when you take the practice runs on the tests that you pay specific attention to the time limit.

It caught me a little off guard when I took it because 35 minutes goes by real fast when are trying to take this test.

I would also recommend taking a whole series of tests in one day with minimal breaks in between. Do it a couple times before you take the actual test so you are a bit used to the mental fatigue and hand cramps.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.