Predictions anyone?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan'G, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Bryan'G

Bryan'G Auditioning

I currently have an older 27" TV that is starting to go on the fritz (occassional flashes/mainly red specifically during scene changes). We were hoping to be able to wait a bit to replace it.

My real question - Where does everyone think technology/prices will be in 9 months to a year? Any predictions on what options (non front projection) may be available for around $1k?

This is probably a bit vague, but I thought it might be interesting to look to the future a bit to see what the market might have available at a reasonable price and also to let me dream about a replacement set a little bit. [​IMG]

2. Bob~M

Bob~M Auditioning

I honestly think that CRT rear projectors are about as cheap as they're going to get. There aren't any revolutionary cost-saving technologies in the pipeline, and economies of scale have already kicked in. Maybe a little lower, but not much.

DLP and LCD rear projectors will likely drop maybe 20-25% in the next year or so, but not down to the sub-$2000 level. Plasma will drop; the $8000 plasma sets may cost $5500-6000 in a year.

Any newer technologies, such as LCOS, will proliferate first in higher-end sets.

So the bottom line, I think, is that if you don't have much more than $1000 to spend, this is an excellent time to jump in and get a widescreen HD CRT rear projector. You have little to gain by waiting. If your heart is set on DLP or LCD, a year may save you $1000 bucks or less. But then again, you would lose a year of enjoyment.