What's new

Pre/Pros DPL/DPLII/DD/DD EX/DTS/DTS ES/THX EX (1 Viewer)

I am in the process of upgrading from a receiver based system with DD EX and DTS ES. My previos system to this was an older DPL SS receiver. My new system will be done with seperates. The amp I have decided on is the Parasound HCA 1205A 5x140 and a NAD 216THX 2x125. The NAD I already own. The Parasound I narrowed down to from several possibilities. I don't know exactly how it got narrowed down to just the Parasound but my excel spreadsheet now only has the Parasound. The others were eliminated for reasons unknown to me now. What it boils down to now is my choice for a pre/pro. It will either be an Acurus ACT-3 w/ABM and the Stage One upgrade or the Lexicon DC-1 v4.0. The reason I have chosen these two is quality and affordability on the used market. The Lexicon will cost between $1000 and $1100 the Acurus is $600 to $700 plus $1100 for the Stage One upgrade($950 plus shipping and taxes about $150). The Lexicon has DPL/DD/DTS and THX EX. The Acurus will have DPL/DD/DD EX/DTS/DTS ES/DTS Neo6. Is DD EX/DTS ES/DTS Neo6 worth the additional $700. Can THX EX convert a 6.1 or 7.1 signal or is it only able to convert 5.1 signals to THX EX. Currently most if not all DVD's offer a 5.1 format as well as either or both a 6.1 and 7.1 format. Will this trend continue or will they slowly move to only 6.1 and 7.1 formats. Will the THX EX format be available for selection on DVD playback. I hope this is clear. This is not intended to be a which is better Acurus or Lexicon as I think they are both quality units. I have no need for component video switching so that isn't an issue. The speakers being used will be the Audax home theatre kit. The sub is an SVS 20-39 cs+. Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Clif

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Clif

Does the Stage One upgrade include the additions of multi channel inputs? The DC-1 does not support SACD/DVD-A playback.

If Multi channel music is unimportant to you, then you should look at the Rotel 1055/1066.

I own the 1055, as a pre/pro, and love it. If your only going to use a digital connection for your sources the 1055/1066 work great. The LP xover is variable(40,60,80,100,120,150,off) If you want a true analog bypass, feed the R/L multi inputs and turn the sub off in the subs menu.

You can find used 1055's for around $1000. They make a great preamp, same as the 1066 just with amps. Only real difference is the the 1055 is about 2db noiser then the 1066. With most equipment this increased noise wont be audible.

Just my thoughts. Nothing wrong with the Lexicon though.

Earle

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is DD EX/DTS ES/DTS Neo6 worth the additional $700.
IMO, no. You will already have DD EX with the Lexicon, and you will also have Logic7, which will do at least as good a job as DTS:Neo6 when it comes to adapting stereo signals for a multi-channel environment. What's more, the Logic7 processing will be available on all 5.1 titles.

Full disclosure: I've had Lexicon processors since 1996 and loved every minute of it.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks