What's new

Powered Vs. Passive Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
My six year old receiver just crapped out on me. No sound. First, after turning it on, it would take a minute or two then it would have sound. Got tired of this, so I left it on. Then, the sound stopped. Sound came back a few hours later. Now, there's no sound at all.

If I'm unable to repair it, I'm going to have to get a new receiver. The problem is that while I can use my existing speakers, my subwoofer is passive, with only wires for a connection. Most, if not all, the receivers I've been looking at have rca inputs for a powered subwoofer. Is it at all possible to use a banana adapter to use my passive subwoofer on a new receiver ? I really don't have the money for a receiver AND a new subwoofer....especially since the subwoofer, when sound is going to it, works fine.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You will need an amp to power your passive sub. In your old receiver the amp was built in. Most stand alone receivers (I'm assuming you have a home theater in a box - HTiB) do not have the extra amp. There's no way to power it without the amp. You will either need a new sub or an amp to power the old one.

On that note, if your speakers are part of a HTiB, then you should find the specs before you use them with a new receiver. Many times they are 4 or even 3 ohm and can damage the new receiver. If you are not sure list the make and model here and we may be able to find the specs online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks