What's new

power went out, receiver works better? (1 Viewer)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
ok - so a quick history...

I have a Denon AVR-1803 hooked up to JBL S38II's as mains, an S-CenterII and a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer.

A couple of nights ago the power went out at my house for about 6 hours... of course, I had to reset all the clocks in the house, etc... my reciever was also in need of some tuning (which I thought was strange).

So i put things "back" to where I thought things were what I had thought they were set before, but now the system sounds MUCH MUCH better than before!?

Hard to explain, but the simplest way is that previously my "LARGE" setting didn't sound "LARGE"... I was kindof dissapointed before, but now it sounds GREAT!

has this happened to anyone in the past?

RobWil

Supporting Actor
my reciever was also in need of some tuning (which I thought was strange).
Hmmm!? :confused: Was your tuner also in need of some receiving??? :) (just teasing!)
My guess is that you had some setting which reverted back to the default setting when power was lost...maybe something different other than the LARGE setting?? Like if you had an EQ setting that was on also that was defeating the high frequencies maybe?? If it was originally on LARGE and then you set it back to LARGE, that's prolly not the setting resulting in the change. There was prolly something else set in some obscure menu that you had inadvertantly set or just didn't know about. Those menus get pretty complicated and it's easy to miss something.

Anyway..that's cool that it sounds better now. I guess you know what to do now if it ever starts sounding crappy again, huh? ;)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
well - i thought the receiver's memory would have held all the specs I had put into it previously...

the receivers do have some memory so you don't have to reprogram them in the event of a power outage... correct?

and yes, it's very strange - i may have miskeyed something previously... but i'm glad the power went out! :D

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Yeah...normally I think the settings should remain even if full power is lost, but maybe the EPROM took a hit when the power went out.

That reminds me....I've brought home several demo/display receivers in the past and it always amazes me the settings I find programmed in. It makes you wonder if they do it to deceive the customers or what!?!
Like on one receiver I found the Intellivolume set to +12 for all sources. This would make it seem like the receiver was more powerful cause when you turned it up to -30 it would sound like other receivers at -18. Also they like to jack the tone controls way up. For anyone...If you ever demo
a receiver in a store make sure they set it to flat frequency response and don't jack up the volume internally so you can compare apples to apples.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks