What's new

Power: wattage, circuit, & surge requirements (1 Viewer)

Dennis LM

Grip
I just did a wattage review for all the items that can be hooked up into my current system. The total came to 660 Watts. I also want to allow 200 to 250 Watts for eventual the addition of a powered subwoofer.

I would like to know how my power configuration for the 4ES HT system should best be set up. I don't want to blow circuits or overload anything.

1) What kind of point-of-use surge protector should I consider using? (I'm not ready for whole house protection now)
2) What circuit considerations should I be aware of?
3) How do I figure the amperage draw on a given outlet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HT System: Sony DVP-NC600, STR-DA4ES, KV-27V42 TV, TC-WR6655S dual tape, SLV-676UC VCR, DCR-TRV120 Digital 8, & 2 Technics SB-L30 speakers

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
1) You'll need a device that everything can plug into and that includes the cable or satellite. A very cost effective and compentent device would be this model from Stratitec. You're interested in the one on the right but it comes bundled with the other little one. It's under $20 at Sam's Club so if there's one in your area and you or someone you know has a membership, go pick one up. If that doesn't work for you drop them an email or a call and maybe they can tell you who else carries the unit in your area. Online, you can buy it from Directron but its a little more money.

2) None that I can think of. Make sure your outlet is wired correctly ($4 circuit tester at Home Depot...test all your outlets).

3) Volts times amperes equals watts.

Therefore: Ampere equals watt divided by volts.

In your case, 600/120 = 5 amps. So just pick a 15 amp circuit.

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Would that Stratitec surge protector limit the current a 200watt per channel amp would need?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
dunno...MOV's are invariably paralleled across the circuit so that wouldn't limit anything. The EMI/RFI components may be placed in series. You'd have to call them and make of this what you will.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
which is a series mode protector. it's critical with the brickwall devices that the outlet be wired correctly. myself I don't put much stock in this 'my amp is starving, it must eat' thing but whatcha gonna do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks