What's new

wiring in a upc and power filter/ surge protector (1 Viewer)

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Hey guys. I started in on the basement home theater and I have a few questions. My equipment is going to be in the space underneath the stairway. I have started running conduit and what not for the speakers and I am now starting the power supply runs.

1. How does battery backup and power filter surge protector get wired into the system? I will be running at least two 20 amp circuits to the space under the stairs.

2. I have read some power filters/ surge protectors can handle up to 40 amps. Most circuit breakers are either 15 amp or 20 amp. Does this mean these 40 amp power filters take two dedictaed 20 amp lines? Am i figuring this wrong.

3. What is the best way to wire the projector. The projector will be about 8' away from the equipment closet. Should I hard wire from the projector to the closet, or add an outlet right above the projector? I had not planned on boxing in the projector. I will be using 5/8" drywall on the ceiling. Thanks

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I've got my UPS by my equipment rack and run surge protected power strips from it (double protection). :) I'm not a licensed electrician so I'm not sure about the remainder of your inquiry but you will indeed want your projector on a UPS so if you lose power you can shut down your projector with cooling.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
You will need an inlet wired from your closet to the outlet that your projector is plugged into. Your UPS/Power conditioner unit will need to have a plug running from one of the protected sockets to the inlet, and then your projector plugged in to the socket on the other end of the inlet.

You must use romex cable with no splices for this to pass code and it will have to be installed into a high voltage box on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks