power Q's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_M_S, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

dumb questoin time!
    So, how many people run their speakers of the reciever only? i ask cause i'm not sure if i should run just reciever power, or spend more, get one with pre-outs, and run amps to the fronts. i would prolly just get plate amps for each tower. i just question if reciever power can push the speakers well enough. reciever would be H/K ar-320 (55x5) and speakers will most likely be a mix of peerless and morel with three way, 10, 7, and tweeter setup.
    [​IMG]
    brandon

2. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I run my Paradigm Studio Reference 100's, ADP surrounds, and center off my Pioneer Elite 45TX.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brandon: Most of the time, most speaker systems (even inefficient, low-sensitivity models) are running on less than one watt of power at any given time. Only during peaks does the power start to get tapped (much less taxed). For most consumer speaker systems (i.e., not ridiculously low-impedence high-end, all-out systems based on exotic driver technology), 55 watts across the board (with all channels driven, across the entire 20Hz-20kHz range) is just fine (in an average-sized living room or den). JB

4. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

I like the option of adding an external amplifier, I intend to run my 45tx into a ps audio ps200c amp....

5. Richard.J

Richard.J Extra

Jack, I know that speaker systems generally don't use much power at most times, but one watt or less seems a bit low to me. I've blown 40, 60, and even an 80 amp fuse (different amplifiers and configurations) in my car listening to music (and I've blown a 150 playing test tones, heheh), but this was under high output levels. Also, I can get my harman/kardon AVR55 to struggle at times with movie soundtracks at high volume.

So I guess I'm trying to ask, when you say

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Richard, my next concern would be protecting your hearing. [​IMG] (You're running that car system awfully loud for such close quarters.)

7. Richard.J

Richard.J Extra

8. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent