What's new

Potential Moulin Rouge DTS Problem (1 Viewer)

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Living in Spain, I'm still waiting for my recently shipped RED CURTAIN TRILOGY boxset to arrive, so I have no way of checking it in person, but according to first reviews, the DTS lip-synch glitch is still there on the MOULING ROUGE disc.
And to add insult to injury, the set is quite different from what was advertised by Fox: the STRICTLY BALLROOM cover has not been redesign to fit the unified look of the rest of the set, and the ROMEO+JULIET Special Edition is the same, 1-disc edition already avaliable separately, not a brand new 2-disc set as the ads claimed.
I don't regret having ordered this, since I didn't buy the movies separately and this still seems to me the best way to own them (along with the bonus disc), but, all in all, it's quite a disappointment.
And could it be deemed something of a "fraud" on Fox's part, since it doesn't comply to the information they released to promote it?
:thumbsdown:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have this problem on my tosh 5109 and my panny rp-91.

i cant believe there hasnt been a correction for this yet.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I feel really sorry for anyone that has to watch this in Dolby Digital, because I heard it once in Dolby, and it sounded truly awful! The DTS is a huge improvement on the sound. It has a wider range of sound, and the bass is very

"tight". I consider the DTS track of pure reference quality sound. Thank god there is absolutely NO lip-sync problems whatsoever on my Sony NS700 DVD player.

I have played the DTS version about 10 times, and the Dolby Digital version 1 time, but I couldn't stand the way it sounded. This is saying a lot, because I usually can not find any difference between a Dolby track and a DTS track.

If I did have a lip-sync problem, I would still probably use the DTS track though, because it has much better sound quality.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. It wouldn't be so bad except this *is* the demonstration DVD on just how much better DTS can sound than DD!!!
The DTS is SMOOTH and CLEAR and POWERFUL and just sounds so much more refined and cohesive than the DD soundtrack (at least on *my* system :) )
-dave
Boo Fox for not fixing or addressing this. BOO! :angry:
p.s. I feel sorry for Peter...he's probably 100% on our side and I'll bet this is a sticky subject between him and the other DVD guys over at Fox. There's probably nothing he can safely say to us which is why he's had to remain silent on the topic. Well Peter, we believe in ya...just do what you can. We're glad that a studio like Fox has a guy like you working there who *does* seem to give a darn for the audiophile/videophile consumer.
;)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It's a sync shift of about 20ms I found. I am fortunate enough to have the ability to adjust for any kind of sync issues in my pre-amp, a few decent components should have the ability to do this. What's odd is, I made the adjustment way back when and altered for 20ms and you'd think every other DVD track in my collection would go out if I let the 20ms adjustment for Rouge stand, yet it doesnt...
It wouldn't be so bad except this *is* the demonstration DVD on just how much better DTS can sound than DD!!!
Benefit of DTS or alternate 6 track master? ;) :D
Dan

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Another note on quality control regarding this title, or rather DVD production in particular....

It's a good thing the store I bought from had multiple copies. The first one opened, on disc 1, the edge of the DVD looked like it had been nicked by something sharp every centimeter or so.

I did notice on both Disc 1s that I looked at that the "glue" layer was noticable, but I have plenty of DVDs like that that play fine, including my old Contact DVD which was presumed to have DVD rot......

Anyways, I'll play mine tonight and see if I have the DTS issue.....

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
So I popped my copy in last night. If I have the DTS problem, I could not see it. I played the "Your Song" chapter over and over, switching back and forth between DD and DTS and just did not see anything noticable.

I have a Panasonic A120 and a Yamaha RXV-795 receiver.

And yes, the DTS track does sound spectacular spectacular!

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Red Curtain version, and could not detect any problem with the lip synch.

receiver: Denon 5800

DVD player: JVC 95GD

All the family in town......Big premiere of the new 57" Widescreen and new Panny RP-82. Mom's Never seen MR and is super pumped since she's a singer. DTS track playing....sync definitely off....me not for-knowing this issue with the disk and quietly freaking out in my mind wondering what's up (yes....I'm a tweaker but was taking one for the team here hoping not everyone noticed)..... eventually I was going nuts during the "Your song" part and had to stop it. I was surprised and happy to hear that 5 out of the 7 were very aware and just didn't want to say anything either. I just guessed that it might me the track or my new player and tried the other track....not nearly as good of sound but the sync prob was gone! What a nightmare opening of my new theater!!!! We more than made up for it with some other films though. But...man that sucked. I also want an exchange....if that ever happens? Never had any disk with this issue....pioneer dv-333 or my new rp-82. Hope I never do again.:)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Peter managed to avoid answering a direct question regarding the DTS -lip sync on the chat. I can only conclude that Fox is unwilling to address or acknowledge this problem and has instructed him not to comment.

bummer.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Great to finally hear something about this, but it sounds like their test was destined not to show any problems. Notice how no mention of what brands/models of DVD players were used? They randomly sampled DVDs from vairous "batches" but that's not the problem...it's *any* Moulin Rouge DVD played in *specific* models of DVD players. If they tested all these discs in a DVD player that doesn't have the sync...then no sync would be discovered.

My Panny rp91 has a sync problem so bad that even your grandmother would notice. 3 friends with the same DVD player all have the same sync problem with the DTS on this disc.

This is the only disc that has such issues played on my DVD player.

-dave

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok, so it's not me, that's the only disc I have problems with. I notice the sync, it's is not off much but enough that I try not to look at the lips! I think next time I'll just watch it in DD. The sync being off can really drive you nuts!

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
I'm normally not one for piling on, but I noticed the sync problem with the DTS track last night with my Denon 1600. DD was spot on.

And by the way, I wasn't looking for it. It's been a few days since I visited the HTF, and I was unaware this disc had a problem. I didn't remember this thread from last year either.

Funny thing is I had a Tosh 2019 for years and don't remember a sync problem on this disc with that player. This is the first time I noticed a sync issue with my Denon.

Bummer...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
thanks Universal for FINALLY admitting to your STUPID mistake (regarding BTTF 2 and 3 misframing)
Now if only Fox could find a fix to the Moulin Rouge DTS sync fiasco.

What's it been, a year already?? And although I read they tried to find a solution - c'mon! How many DTS titles are out there that are fine? This is a well documented prob on many players, including the excellent RP-91, which plays other DTS discs flawlessly.

Hoping for the best,

Felix

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I just read through this thread, and have to add yet another player to the list of those who clearly show DTS sync problems.... the MALATA 996.:frowning:

RogerB

Second Unit
456 days since Peter asked for examples of this problem.

The Moulin rouge DTS synch issue has been a bit of a puzzle to us, DVCC and DTs. After we heard the reports of problems we pulled 250 samples of the title from random manufacturing batches and tested them. We were not able to find a synch problem in normal usage. The only way we could get a synch problem to occur was to start the disc with one of the 5.1 tracks - either dolby or DTS - and play it for at least 10 minutes, and then switch the audio to the other 5.1 format using the remote. If you play the title from beginning to end with either DTS or Dolby selected we were unable to replicate any synch issues. I think I posted about this some time back.
I've played it both ways (DD then swith to DTS and DTS from the beginning) and always get the lip synch problem. We're not dreaming. The problem exists. Besides, if you know that switching from DD to DTS 10 minutes in causes a lip synch problem there MUST be something wrong with the disc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
With all the problems I see posted from the Panasonic RPX1 family, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole

Considering this is a PLAYER SPECIFIC issue, you should contact Panasonic

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have a load of dts discs that play fine on my pioneer player except for Moulin Rouge, which suffers from lip-sync issues, so maybe it is a disc issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks