What's new

Potential Moulin Rouge DTS Problem (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Geez, can't believe this thread is still around. I've got the Panny RP-91 and the lip sync problem (2 disc set). Wonder if this will ever be resolved...

Cheers,

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, I saw it for the first time last night. I've watched this movie over 40 times on my 46" 16:9 Mits and never noticed it. Now, on the 80" FP image, it's there. During the "Your Song" song, I switched back and forth between dd and dts. It's very slight, but it's there. Bummer, the dts track is so much more dynamic than the dd on this dvd.
Peace Out~:D

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Bummer it is. I just watched it on my Philips 963sa last week and the DTS is out of whack.

Oddly, I didn't notice it when I watched it on my Sony player before or even on my first 963 (though in the latter I believe I only watched a few portions for video quality). It's easiest to observe when people talk or sing quickly.

I know I watched the whole thing before on the Sony and didn't observe the lip-sync error on DTS. Same Pioneer receiver used with all players.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Ok, recently, I got surround sound. I decided to watch Moulin Rouge on DTS. Starting from the beginning on DTS, I didn't notice any problems. I have a PAN-RV31 player, ONKYO TXSR-600 receiver.

Brendon

Second Unit
Despite being one of the people having the problem with my particular combo of player & MR (see post #1 in this thread), I think it's time to let this thread die gracefully.
Mr.Staddon has said that Fox have investigated the problem but failed to replicate the problem. If our specific models were tested (right down to specific firmware versions etc), the problem may be replicable - however it does not neccessarily follow that even if they do observe the problem (as we have) that a reissue or exchange is physically or financially viable.
It may be entirely possible that Mr. Staddon is in agreement with us over the issue, but that as an employee of Fox he may not be able to say so openly. He has however responded with an answer in this thread - it may not have been the answer many of us expected or wanted, but it was an answer none the less. I do not believe that a lack of further explanation, elaboration or discussion in this thread by either Fox or Mr. Staddon is either an admission of guilt, failure or an act of nose thumbing at any of us. I would much prefer to "lose" this battle and have the likes of Mr. Staddon involved in producing DVDs which address our primary HT concerns than to have him potentially lose his postion at Fox by speaking out against his employers.
I, like most of us in this thread, would love to hear MR in all of its synchronised DTS glory. I suspect our only hope of this is to either upgrade to players that do not exhibit this problem with this title, or await a subsequent issue of the film with the problem "fixed".
Until then however, I feel that there is little to be accomplished by bumping the thread periodically. Given that almost two years have elapsed since the discs issue, I think this thread should be allowed to fade.
This post has not been an attempt to stiffle discussionn, merely to spare this particular dead horse any more flogging.
Cheers,
Brendon

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I, like most of us in this thread, would leave to hear MR in all of its synchronised DTS glory. I suspect our only hope of this is to either upgrade to players that do not exhibit this problem with this title, or await a subsequent issue of the film with the problem "fixed".

Or we can just hear the Dolby Digital 5.1 track...

I'm not replacing my Panny RP-91 because of the Moulin Rouge DTS sync issue.

Cheers,

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I recently purchased three copies of the single disc release (one for my mother, one for my roommate, and one one for my brother) and tested all three of them along with the disc that came with the two-disc edition I purchased back when it was first released. I am using the Sony NS715P DVD Payer on the Sony KV-34XBR800 and the Sony DA4ES reciever and running it in DTS. Three of the four discs had the problem. I traded my mother the first disc from my 2-disc set for her single disc edition since she does not have a home theater set up and it does not affect her.
I can only assume from this that the problem was due to defective discs. This is the only setup I have tried the discs on and I found it very interesting that 3 of the four discs had the problem while the 4th one did not. :thumbsdown:
There is a problem that has not been fixed and it now appears will never be fixed. Many of the discs must be defective like 75% of the ones I purchased.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
On Sony 9000ES, my wife and I both notice the DTS sync problem. A shame since DTS sounded so good.

What bothers me even more is that in Ch. 19 near the layer change is skipping, pixelating and freezing. This also happens on my Toshiba portable player. I have played the disc maybe 4 times at most.

I'm more than willing to pay for a new one as long as DTS sync problem is fixed. Anyone else experiencing similar rot-like problems?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i finally got around to watching MR last night. we originally started in dts, but the synch problem was so bad that we had to switch to dd. i noticed it right off and after about 15-20 minutes my wife commented that it was driving her nuts. too bad, as the dts sounded so much better. i'm using a Pioneer player and a Aragon Stage One pre/pro.

any word of a fixed disc?

RogerB

Second Unit
It may be entirely possible that Mr. Staddon is in agreement with us over the issue, but that as an employee of Fox he may not be able to say so openly.
Not owning up to a defective disc is despicable.

I hear Philip Morris is hiring.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just got done watching Moulin Rouge D-VHS (1080i HD) with the high-bit-rate Dolby Digital soundtrack and it sounds better than *both* the DD and DTS on the DVD.
My friend's first-gen JVC deck can't pass DTS so I wasn't able to compare the high-bit-rate DD to the high-bit-rate DTS on the D-VHS but I'm sure I wouldn't have been dissapointed :D
Not only was the sound light-years beyond the DVD, but naturally that HD image was a revelation.
POINT: Don't worry about your dinky Standard-def DVD with the lip sinc (I get the lip sync too). You'll be buying Moulin Rouge over again on HD-DVD in a few short years and *that's* that only way to watch it.
By then we'll be listening to it in either high-bit-rate DD/DTS *or* 24/96 6.1 MLP.
Hopefully with no lip-sync issue of course...
:D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Just got done watching Moulin Rouge D-VHS (1080i HD) with the high-bit-rate Dolby Digital soundtrack and it sounds better than *both* the DD and DTS on the DVD.
What? How can the marginal increase in bitrate of DD on D-VHS (still at a lower bitrate than the half-bitrate DTS used on 99% of DTS titles) make it sound better than DTS when we all know that DD is such an inferior codec?
:D :rolleyes: :D

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
POINT: Don't worry about your dinky Standard-def DVD with the lip sinc (I get the lip sync too). You'll be buying Moulin Rouge over again on HD-DVD in a few short years and *that's* that only way to watch it.
i can't believe that you would recommend "go ahead and buy a defective product, 'cause you'll be buying a better one later anyway.":frowning:
i want a good, non-defective version in the format that's available now.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
People shouldn't have to rebuy a disc in order to get an in-synch track. DTS is listed on the first release, something which they paid for. Therefore, companies should be willing to fix the problem at no cost to the consumer for the certain titles that are affected. Die Another Day, Robin Hood: Extended, I'm lookin' at you! :angry:

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Come on people, VHS is very, very dead - DVHS is gettin there... . A cassette format is just not gonna work out in the 21st century!

S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks