What's new

Potential costs to fix ~10 year old CRT set? (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I almost hesitate to ask this...

My parents have about a 10 year old 32" RCA TV that has been just fine for them. They aren't picky, so have had no reason to upgrade...but today I got a call from dad, TV doesn't turn on.

So I stopped over, and it doesn't even make any noise when trying to turn it on. No 'clicks' or anything. He said it did do a little internal 'clicking' on it's own this morning, like it was trying to do something (although he hadn't yet even tried turning it on). But now it doesn't do that either.

I obviously have no idea what could be wrong. Any ideas?

What are the minimum costs they could be looking at to get it fixed, if it's the simplest little thing? How about something a little more complex?

I'm guessing it might not even be worth it, but I had to ask.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tim

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
They can take it to a repair shop and see what they say. It's probably better just to buy a new TV though. Usually you have to pay up front to see what's wrong. May be a simple fix, may not be.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks Chris. That's what I suspected. The question then becomes (other than what new TV to get them) what can be done with the old one? If it is indeed just something tiny wrong, it'd still be an ok TV - can they be sold as "salvage" anywhere?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Must be something in the air.

My 32" Sony (9 years old) died Saturday night. No clicks, no nothing. Won't do anything.

I took it to the shop today and had to put up a $12.50 deposit toward repair costs. I hope it's something simple and cheap but who knows? If it is fairly cheap to fix I'm thinking about giving it to my brother and buying myself a new 46" Samsung DLP. I've been wanting to upgrade so now's as good a time as any.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks