What's new

Possible Willy Wonka casting..... (1 Viewer)

Guy_K

Second Unit
Christopher Walken would be a great choice.. The guy seems like such a weirdo. :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't know about Michael Keaten though. Doesn't really seem right.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Are they going to call this remake Willy Wonka or go back to the original title of the book, "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory"? Also, I don't believe the new film will be a musical.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hmmmm...I don't know about that...I think a musical could/would work fine. Particularly if you cast Walken who is a good dancer and singer. AND he's weird.

Keaton would be a good choice for a non-musical. Of course, so would Walken.

Bob Banka

Grip
My, Oh My....

Can't they just leave well enough alone?

I suppose they simply couldn't pass up an opportunity to apply CGI to yet another film - make it, you know...BETTER.

Heaven forbid a new generation of children have to sit through that much older, "ancient" movie. They can throw a 20 million dollar marketing campaign at it - give away Wonka dolls in Happy Meals three months before the movie's even released.

I can't wait...

Seriously, if Walken is chosen, I think he'd do a fine job. The man can really dance. Check out a film called PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981).

BB

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Roald Dahl , the writer of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, was not happy with Willy Wonka the film. The book has Charlie as the main character, the film Willy Wonka. I suspect the new version, sans music?, will adhere more to the book.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Gene Wilder will always be the one and only Willy Wonka but I think Johnny Depp should get the gig if they do a remake, make it an even 4th Burton film for him.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
As someone that grew up in that age grew and loved the book but hated the movie I'm glad to hear a remake is being done. Hopefully it does really well so great glass elevator is made too.

I thought it was a travesty that the book was made into a musical. Yes, on it's own merits, it's a very good musical, and gene wilder is excellent, but there was so much chopped out to make time for the singing and dancing routines that to me, it was a huge disappointment.

Kinda like people would feel if instead of what they had got they would have had Harry Potter as a musical =p

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Depp would also be great.

I've heard that Dahl was not happy with the film, but Charlie is UNMISTAKABLY the main character in the film. Even if Wilder does tend to steal his scenes.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
And so we have another "book vs. film" debate. :)

Most people like the film as an entity unto itself, and don't mind the changes from the book (including me).

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The new film is not a remake in the truest sense, since they're not using the screenplay from the first version. As a fantasy it should stand on its own whether a musical or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
If they have to do a remake, they sure could do a lot worse than to get Christopher Walken for that role. Excellent pick!

Depp would be fantastic as well I suspect.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I loved WIlly Wonka the movie never read the book so it be interesting to see a non-musical version

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
A non-musical version maybe... I think they should leave it alone..

the current willy wonka movie is a classic IMHO.. I don't think they will be able to follow that act up..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks