What's new

Possible Firefly dvd release..... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup, you're just punishing those who make the shows you love. Fox the network ain't seeing much of the cash from this set

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I got sucked in too but I'm still buying 2 sets. If it sells well maybe we'll see made-for-tv type movies like they did with Alien Nation (5 times).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's what ME has been shopping around. It think the DVDs will go a long way to making that even a possiblility

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The only people losing is Fox the television network. They didn't give their best new series a chance, after they actively tried to destroy it, and instead kept the lowbrow crap alive.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it IS galling when stuff like that gets canned and then stuff like "Married By America" gets so much attention. :rolleyes

Edit: correct spelling

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wow, 25 posts into a Firefly-related thread before Jeff said something paranoid and irrational about Fox intentionally trying to do themselves harm. I think this may be a new record. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I'm afraid that since we have it on record that baseball killed Firefly, from Fox executives you can't dispute this one ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, we have it on the record that baseball made it very difficult for Fox to roll out its schedule, and that several shows fell short of expectations. We also can apply a little intelligence and note that John Doe had to deal with just about exactly the same amount of problems from baseball and is still standing (despite not being produced by a News Corp-owned company), and both Fastlane and Cedric had more trouble from baseball, but survived longer.

Firefly, sadly, just didn't click with the general audience as well as those other shows, at least not to the point where its high production cost was justified - as its falling ratings before the ALDS demonstrate.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
You know, I'm going to have to dispute that it is "on the record". I was hoping I could find the post where someone (can't remember if it was Jeff) posted the quote from the Fox exec but I couldn't find it. I did look it up recently though and, paraphrasing, I believe it went something like this: "Starting our new shows (note - I specifically recall that he did not specify any particular one) when we did may not have been the most effective scheduling we could have done." I hope that accurately reflects what was said. Anyway, point being the guy never said "baseball killed Firefly". Sports generally draw a lot more viewers than most regular programming, especially during the post-season. Could Fox have handled Firefly better? Sure, I'm not disputing that, though I also can't guarantee that it would have significantly changed anything in the long run. There are good shows that just don't make it for whatever reason (and unfortunately there are bad shows that do). To all the Firefly fans out there, I'd say this - You did what you could do to keep the show on the air, but it just didn't hit with enough of an audience to keep it there. I applaud you for your efforts and your passion, I hope you enjoy the DVD's when they come out, but try to accept that the show's lack of success was mostly due to people not watching it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It was me, and the quote came from Zap2It, I'll see if I can find it again

EDIT
Found mention of it, but not the direct:http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=4927

It's clearly a transitional year for us," Fox entertainment president Gail Berman told reporters in a conference call, repeating the network's lament that postseason baseball interrupted the momentum of its primetime launch this fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks