Possible Firefly dvd release.....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd s, Mar 26, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Good stuff[​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, we knew it last year when Tim Minear said "Every episode we produce will make it to the DVD" [​IMG]

It was good to hear they're actively discussing however, I hope we get the nice leather book style packaging I asked for

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I hope there will be a summary of the episodes that weren't filmed so we know what would have happened to the charcters.

5. Jeff Kleist

There are no episodes that weren't filmed that were scripted

Fox still has 3 in the can, 3 episodes that they knew would be the last

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It would be SO nice to see them in their proper order too.

Glenn

7. Adam Lenhardt

Yup, unlike the Farscape debacle, Fox ordered the last two additional episodes as just the two so the production team could see the writing on the walk and took steps accordingly.

Besides, the show wasn't designed as an epic arc type show. You can pick up and leave Serenity at anytime and still get some enjoyment out of it. One of the reasons I fell in love with Firefly when I never got into ME's vamp shows.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Jeff Kleist

yeah, they had just started planting macrostory seeds (albeit a much more X-Files style Macrostory that gets picked up and left constantly, and probably would have had much more coherence) when they were canned

10. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I'm going to pick this set up as a blind buy from all the good things I've heard. It's cool that the whole show will be collected in one package but you know...no more new episodes.

11. Adam Lenhardt

12. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

According to Hercules at Ain't It Cool

13. Jeff Kleist

You'll have a FireFlantastic time with it!

*Pow! Jeff reveals his latest Jossian adjective that would have adorned an Eternal thread [​IMG]*

14. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Does anyone know if ME has said this is supposed to be in widescreen? This show aired in full on sdtv (except the finale, which was wide, IIRC) and by the end of 2002, precedent was that it was okay for genre shows to be letterboxed.

15. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Dan, the show was always supposed to be widescreen. The "alternate pilot" that Fox demanded was shown in 16:9 but after the first ratings came in, Fox decided to go for Pan'n Scan. [​IMG]

I still hope there will be at some time someone who sees the potential and picks up the show. Very unlikely though. [​IMG]

16. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

17. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've got most of the Eps in 16:9 from the Fox DTV broadcast. This includes eps that were aired in 4:3 on their analog channel.

I'm hoping for 5.1 too!

18. Jeff Kleist

personally I'm expecting 5.1

19. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I'll say one thing and leave. I absolutely hate it when I get sucked into a great show such as this and the G&* D*MN studios cancel it. It just PISSES ME OFF!!! So they can take their DVD and shove it up their !!! Well, you get the point. I mean I thought it was a cruel joke when I heard someone make the comment about the show being cancelled. But I soon found out that it was true. Now I appreciate the fact that some if not many of you will enjoy what this series offers on DVD but I will not give a red cent to them $%@#$^#&*(^!! Sorry about the rant. I hope everyone enjoys the series. I surely did and that is why the post is what it is.

Chet

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Chet,

You understand, right, that doing this just means you (possibly) won't get to enjoy the three unaired episodes, won't give the studios the most direct feedback available that there's a market for more Firefly and works like it, etc? It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

TV's a crapshoot, nowadays, for a new show starting out - there really doesn't seem to be a way to measure viewership accurately and cost-effectively. The best you can do with an imperfect system is to hope for the best and when the opportunity arises to directly compensate the people involved for your favorite shows, take it.

The folks at Fox & Mutant Enemy deserve my money for Firefly, and just because it didn't work out on Fox Broadcasting doesn't mean I'm going to deny either myself or them.