What's new

Portable SACDs and DVD- A players (1 Viewer)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Any word on the consumer electronic frontier on boom boxes, small cd players that will play either of the above formats? I know that those formats are of a higher fidelity and they should only be listened to on home theaters and expensive European cars, but if that is the case, then that might be a major reason those formats have not broken through yet.
If someone came out with a DVD-A musc player whose price equalled that of a regular CD player, then you might see some more growth.

Oh sure, you can't get the same sound quality without a 5.1 processor, but I think no one is that deluded that there has to be a way to walk around with 5.1 without the use of headphones :b
The point is people are not embracing these new and great sounding formats because the electronic firms that are creating these new formats are not making the equipment that will encompass a music listening lifestyle? The average person might have a home theater, car CD player, boombox in the kitchen , garage or exercise room, a portable player in their office, on the airplane, train.

SACD and DVD-A has you listening to the content in just one way, Home theater. But there are so many ways we listen.

I know, I know , given time when companies like Sony can make these other music players more affordable, they will. But it is this very thing that prevents them from releasing more titles in that format.

Its like the HDTV problem. People aren't buying them in droves due to lack of content and cost. Manufacturers are not dropping the price because they are not selling enough of them, and therefore are not sponsoring enough shows in HDTV. It will all get sorted out in the end, but not before the person who just wants to hear their favorite artist in a better format has to buy the farm so the industry can decide on a standard.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Vinyl did fine without ever making it portable.

If all SACD titles were hybrids, that would eliminate the need to make portable SACD equipment.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,
Panasonic has made a couple portable DVD-Audio players, but I am not sure if any are currently available. Like portable DVD players in general, the portable DVD-Audio players were not cheap.
Mike said:
If all SACD titles were hybrids, that would eliminate the need to make portable SACD equipment.
Yes, but imagine sitting in a park on a beautiful summer's day with a quality portable SACD player, some great SACDs, and a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 headphones (or your favorite pair). That would be something. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Anthony, aren't there DVD-A head units for motor cars? If there aren't here, I know there are in Hong Kong because a dude from there was talking about his in a thread one time. Like Mike said, hybrid SACD, ought to be the ticket....

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, Panasonic used to make a DVD-Audio head unit for cars. It may have been discontinued, and I am not aware of any other such head units. The Panasonic head unit was odd in that it had a small center channel speaker that folded open from the front panel of the head unit. I always had my doubts about how good such a small speaker could possibly be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks