Need SACD Hybrid Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music' started by Shayne Judge, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

As the title suggests, I am looking for some SACD hybrid recommendations. Currently, I don't have a SACD player yet, but if my library gets large enough I will probably end up getting a player. I do have a DVD-a player (RP-91) but I would like to experience new music and have it remain portable via the hybrid option, which dvda doesnt currently offer.

My musical tastes include Rock, Alternative Rock, Jazz (especially big band), and Classical.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Shane go to Acoustic Sounds' site:

www.acousticsounds.com

Their listings make it easy to sort out the single-layer stuff. Best wishes!

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just a quick question, I clicked on your link Rachael, why are they selling Norah Jones for $29.98 when you can swing by Best Buy and pick it up for $13.99? The link for it in "Bestsellers" has that price, and then lower down you can click on another confusing link (under New Arrivals) and the price is $17.99?

What's up with that site?

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Carlo, I didn't go check, but was the $30 thang maybe the LP? Best wishes!

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i did go check, the $30 price is the 200g LP, they have the SACD for $18.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Craig Robertson

you can check SACDinfo to see if titles are hybrid, but there doesn't seem to be a way to search for hybrid only.

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    So are Michael Tilson Thomas's recordings of the Mahler symphonies highly recommendable? I've never gotten into Mahler before and thought maybe now is a good time. I recall somebody recommended one of his SACDs, but would like more opinions.

How about the few SACDs of popular concertos? Is Stern's recording of Tchaikovsky/Mendelssohn any good? How 'bout Hilary Hahn's Brahms/Stravinsky and Mendelssohn/Shostakovich? And Lang Lang's Rach 3?

I'm also tempted to get Lindsay's Beethoven String Quartet #13, which I already have on redbook CD. Curious to know whether the SACD sounds as harsh as the redbook CD.

I want both truly good performances and good recorded sound, not just one or the other, and don't mind SACD-only discs although will only be doing 2-channel for the forseeable future.

Thanks.

_Man_

9. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

For the absolute best smooth jazz hybrid SACD get Diana Krall's " The Look of Love" hybrid SACD. Diana Krall is my hands down favorite smooth jazz artist of all time so my opinion my be a little bias.

However Norah Jones hybrid SACD " Come Away With Me" sure rockets her it to a solid second place in my book. Both disks are available at Best Buy, I think I paid $14.99 for Diana Krall and only $13.99 for Norah Jones, both are worth every penny.

Also there is a new hybrid SACD John Coltrane's Blue Train, now I don't have nor have I heard it yet so I can not comment on it, but it's Coltrane so it has to be damn good. It will be my very next SACD purchase you can bet on that.

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Craig Robertson

13. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

14. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Thanks all for the input.

I should probably have clarified that I'm aware that Stern's is a classic although I never bought the redbook CD. I already have a few different recordings of the Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn concertos on CD, including Kyung Wha Chung's, which I listen to the most. I love her spontaneity and not-overly-sentimental, mercurial approach in those concertos. I should also add that I was not particularly convinced by Heifeitz' classic recordings of these, which I felt were just too fast and unmusical. Thoroughly virtuosic, yes, but unmusical to me nonetheless.

I generally love Kyung Wha Chung's performances of the Romantic concertos although she may not always be the best given her generally spontaneous approach, but usually very close to the best. So for me, she would be one reference point for what I would like to buy on SACD. And for the Romantic piano concertos, similar things can be said for Martha Argerich, eg. her Rach 3 on Philips, Tchaikovsky on DG (not so much Philips) and Prokofiev also on DG, although she tends to be more virtuosic and firey than most. RE: Rach 3, I also like Byron Janis' on Mercury Living Presence for a completely different approach from Argerich. Not particularly fond of Horowitz's very deliberate, though classic, take for this piece.

As for Mahler, I guess I will definitely get MTT's SACD then and start w/ Mahler 1st. Too bad I don't have MC capability for this, just stereo SACD.

Sathyan,

Are you suggesting Karajan's 1977 DG version of Beethoven 9th on SACD? Is this really better than the old redbook CD, which I already own? I listen to that CD from time to time, but find the sound rather dense for the most part and generally prefer Gardiner's on DG.

RE: Norah Jones, I was going to write her off as all style and hype, but not much substance, based on some reviews on Amazon. But maybe I should see for myself anyway since the SACD is quite affordable. Can you believe that I have yet to listen to her, except for the very low quality, short clips on Amazon? [​IMG] Same goes for Diana Krall.

BTW, is the Ella and Louis SACD much better than previous redbook CDs? Haven't seen anybody mention it yet, which makes me think it's not worth getting. What about Miles Davis' classic Kind of Blue SACD vs the previous remastered CD?

Thanks again.

_Man_

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just listened to the redbook layer (not yet SACD capable) of Norah Jones...

TWICE!

That's how good it was, I was compelled to play it again. Sitting in the "sweet spot" the whole time. This SACD is going to make me keep these MD Quart speakers I'm auditioning, the music sounds that good, that transparent.

I just realized that my old friend Dan Rieser plays on the Norah Jones CD. I got to know him really well when he was with Marcy Playground (all three guys actually) and am glad to see he's still doing well in the music biz.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Man-Fai,

Yes its the HvK '77 recording. I don't have both for comparison. I do not expect the SACD to be better than the CD. HvK was a big proponent of digital recording back in the day. In the mid seventies digital recording tech sucked so that rather than PCM vs DSD is the limiting factor. I would not buy this if I had the CD. I upgraded a cassette tape. I list it because it is IMHO a great performance. If you don't like the HvK CD the SACD release is unlikely to fix that.

I agree with you on the Chung (I have the Mendelssohn/Tchaik CD on Decca). I plan to rebuy this on SACD if it becomes available. As a violinist myself, I do not hesitate owning multiple renditions of core repertoire (11 versions of the Mendelssohn across LP, Tape, CD and SACD). My favorite violinists are Fritz Kreisler, Jascha Heifetz and Isaac Stern (in that order); they recorded when the tech was lacking.
    I'm not a big fan of the solo piano literature so can't help you there. I only have the Rach. with Entremont/Ormandy on LP (Columbia, 1963) and find it less than compelling. I've had trouble getting into piano recordings while am able in live performance.

Norah Jones album is I think the only Grammy-winner I've purchased in recent years (I purchased about a year ago after listening to MP3's - with those record store sound samples one cannot make a decision). (and I effectively bought it three times: CD; DVD concert; and SACD). I consider it to be the anti-Top40. Relatively light production and tunes anyone could have recorded in the past 50 years. This is why its selling - wide age cohort.

Diana Krall is somewhat overproduced (big label). I have 5 of her redbooks and the Live in Paris DVD. The DVD is a good introduction as a best of and is lighter on the processing. Her older albums are IMHO better. I will not be replacing all of my redbooks but if Love Scenes is issued on SACD I'll buy that one. My least favorite is The Look of Love which is her only SACD hybrid; too pop-py in production (at least the redbook is).

Ella and Louis and Kind of Blue neither of which are hybrids are likely (I don't own these so take this with a grain of salt) to suffer from the benefits of SACD - nearness to the master tapes. Those tapes have degraded so the hiss could be distracting. Do a search for the Miles title, there are mixed reviews.

Sathyan

NP Natasha St. Pier De L'Amour Le Mieux

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Sathyan, how is Zander's performance of Mahler's 6th compared to MTT's?

Han's SACD is not a hybrid.

The Miles Davis titles actually all get glowing reviews, at least for the major albums like Kind of Blue (but that isn't a hybrid).

Ella & Louis got many complaints that it's too "bright."

I've read mostly bad things about Karajan's 9th.

Other great jazz hybrids:

Sonny Rollins- Saxophone Colossus, Way Out West, Plus 4

John Coltrane- Standard

Thelonious Monk- 5 By Monk By 5

Sonny Clark- Trio

Bill Evans- Sunday Night at the Village Vanguard, Moonbeams, Waltz For Debby

Bell Evans / Cannonball Adderley- Know What I Mean?

Vince Guaraldi- Black Orpheus

Art Pepper- Meets the Rhythm Section

McCoy Tyner- New York Reunion

Classical:

Sibelius 2nd Symphony

Mussourgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition

Shostakovich- Symphony #5

I second the recommendations for the sonics on the Channel discs. However, their choice of music is unique, such as Benjamin Britten's cello suites, sonatas and concertos by Schumman and Franck, viola de gamba solos pieces, and a version of the Requiem which sounds gorgeous, but I'm not fond of the interpretation (though some on this board disagree with me on that).

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    One way to browse is to go to the classical search engine at amazon, and type 'sacd' into the title of the album field, and your composer into the composer field. They are quick to point out which titles are hybrids.

Another classical hybrid choice is the Carlos Kleiber Beethoven 5th and 7th.....

19. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Mike,

For the Shosty #5 is it the Telarc or the Linn release?

For Mahler #6, I don't have a strong preference between the Zander and the MTT. I bought the Zander largely for the bonus lecture. The Zander is $10 cheaper and include both versions of the 4th mov't but the MTT won the 2003 Grammy.

Miles - I thought I saw something negative on AudioAsylum. Maybe it was over-hyped. http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ue&r=&session=

Karajan - I'm not saying its the most pleasing but its a reference point. I have a bunch of oldies (Pink Floyd DSOTM, Beck, The Band, Carole King, etc.) not because I like them but so I have a reference for Stereophile's reviews. For the 9th, Furtwangler, Harnoncourt, Kleiber, and Donanyi along with Gardiner may be better performances. But I keep going back to my Horenstein LP. If you are 78-capable, a Mengelberg may be worth trying.

Sathyan

NP Emma Shapplin Carmine Meo

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer