What's new

Portable MP3 players (1 Viewer)

John Draper

Auditioning
Interested in a portable (memory based) MP3 player. Am obviously aware of the iPod, but was wondering if anyone had experience with other players. Good points, bad points, things to watch out for. Thank you in advance.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John,

I absolutely love my Nomad Jukebox 3. Not only do I now carry my whole 500 CD collection around with me, but I can record to it from any source, any time (as long as I have a patch cord). The other nice thing about it is that it acts as a portable hard drive if I need it to.

The sound is excellent, right up there with iPod, but the best thing you can do is go to the shops and listen to them yourself. The 3 big ones are Creative Nomad, iPod, and Archos.

The coolest thing I got out of the MP3 player though was on loading all of my CDs on to the hard disk, I found hundreds of songs that I forgot I even had.

Good luck,

Kraig

JoshF

Supporting Actor
iPod, iPod. Just get the iPod. It's the best-designed, best-sounding, coolest one out there. No joke.

I've gone through several over the years, and the iPod is so superior it's silly. There's a reason all the new players from other manufacturers are borrowing ideas from the iPod.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I have the Archos Jukebox Studio 20. A little bulky but I love the 20GB hard drive. And although it's no IPod, it's also less than half the cost.

Kenneth

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just to chime in for people interested in an Mp3/CD player for Xmas, I just ordered the iRiver SlimX 350 for my sis. It's $139 at Amazon with a $20 MIR. I did lots of searching and I figured a CD/mp3 player would be best for her since she can just throw a newly bought CD in there rather than going through her computer first.
For those interested the other less expensive but decent choices are the iRiver ChromeX ($70 w/MIR) and the RioVolt SP90 or 100 (around the same price but not as good quality).
CNet Reviews:
Top 5 HD MP3 Players
Top 5 CD/MP3 players
Top 5 Flash mem MP3 players
Top 5 Ultra Compact MP3 players
Top 5 Budget MP3 players

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I have had 3 different MP3 players. When it gets cold, I buy one to take with me to the gym. (I don't use it when I run outside in the summer.)

My first player was a Rio 800. I really liked it, and had no problems with it. I returned it after 30 days because I saw they had new versions with more memory for the same price I bought mine for. But then I heard a lot of people complaining about problems, so I didn't buy another Rio. Plus, the new Rio's don't have a random play feature.

I bought an Intel player, which was great, but the buttons were had to reach while running. No information on the display either. But it worked good. Then it got stolen.

I now have a Creative IIc, and it's the best so far. It is the heaviest, and the belt clip does not hold tight enough. But I fixed it with a wrap of electrical tape on the moving clip, and a piece of grip tape underneath it. I really enjoy it.

I use it for running only, so I need a small player with good buttons. I could not see buying an iPod because of the abuse I would put it through. I also think it's too much $$ for something I'm going to be carrying around a lot.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Do any of these players come with a resume feature? I heard the Ipod doesn't and so I abandoned the idea of that one.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Do any of these players come with a resume feature? I heard the Ipod doesn't and so I abandoned the idea of that one.
You heard wrong. You can pause a song on the iPod and come back to it days later.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks