What's new

Popeye, The Censored 11, MGM toons (1 Viewer)

DaveK

Second Unit
Hey Guys...
Any official update from Warners (or Jerry Beck) regarding
Popeye color cartoons (1943 - 1957)
The Censored 11 (most of them were shown during the TCM film festival a few years ago - RESTORED)
A Collection of MGM cartoons or Tex Avery MGM cartoons on DVD

These have been on the backburner for at least 8 years.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hey Guys...
The Censored 11 (most of them were shown during the TCM film festival a few years ago - RESTORED)

About two years ago when Warner Archives released a volume of the 1960s Popeye cartoons, there was some talk from Warners of releasing the color Popeyes in the then near future. So far it hasn't happened.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys...

The color popeye's have been rumored to come out when the new Popeye movie comes out. Whether that happens are not remains to be seen. If Warner won't release the two questionable Tom And Jerry cartoons then I doubt we will see them release the censored 11.
Why they have not released Tex Avery is still a great mystery.
There was a rumor last year that seems to be credible based on replies from WA that they are working on re-mastering the Barney Bear shorts for a Warner Archive release. At this point in the disc market WA seems to be the only chance for any of the above to be released.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'd like to think Warner knows the difference between the '60s cartoons released thru WA and the Famous cartoons fully restored, properly advertised and released thru WHV.
Doesn't matter, the main reason the KFTV shorts went to Archive is because WHV cancelled the line after the Fleischer shorts bombed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Any future cartoon set will be through the Warner Archive. As such, I doubt they will release a "C11" set as such but rather parcel a few out in various sets, assuming they happen down the line. The closest relative to such a set on the WA have been the "Forbidden Hollywood" sets, but those are a completely different animal. They don't really go for lampshading controversial content.

The only hope for the Famous Popeyes in wider retail was the upcoming movie, but since that got canned it's pretty much marooned.

A retail C11 set, which I believe contained more "not allowed on TV" from MGM and WB, was seemingly planned around the time the shorts were showcased during an exclusive TCM screening and was hinted at aiming at a narrow collectors' market, but that was unsurprisingly shot down. At the least it suggested that all the shorts had been restored in the recent future.

Any major Tex Avery set, let alone a complete one, has long since been dead as far as WHV was concerned. The Droopy set apparently was an attempt to test the waters but that was such a botch job that it pretty much doomed any future venture. Again, these will likely be tacked by the WAC from now on, or in the not-too-distant future.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Doesn't matter, the main reason the KFTV shorts went to Archive is because WHV cancelled the line after the Fleischer shorts bombed.

My recollection is that the Fleischer shorts were always a risk in the eyes of the studio simply because they were in black and white. I have no idea how they sold, but three volumes were released at traditional retail. The original plan was obviously to release chronological volumes of the entire theatrical series, which was halted right before the Famous colors due to the Great Recession (or so it was reported). Unfortunately it never picked up again and, if the new movie has indeed been cancelled, I agree it probably won’t come from WHV. However, I don’t know that the ‘60s cartoons releasing through WA have anything to do with the theatricals. They were released several years later and when the new movie was still in the works.

At any rate, I hope the Famous shorts are eventually restored and released thru WA if that’s the only possibility.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Well on a second look, it seems like the CGI Sony film is still being developed, though hasn't had much publicity since Genndy left it.

So if this actually gets made, we might see a Famous Popeye retail DVD

moe green

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I don't think the Fleicher Popeye's bombed, but I do think they know there isn't a huge market for the inferior "Famous Studio" Popeye cartoons.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
You know, that is a personal opinion. They did drop in quality, like some scenes without the "S" on his chest or the belt...but they still had the animation that was on par with the original Fleischer's!

Maybe before some of us die, WB will put out a beautiful BD set, restored in all their glory!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Was the op edited?

All I see is a list, what was the update?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Was the op edited?

All I see is a list, what was the update?
It actually was a question asking if there has been any update. He just forgot the question mark at the end. But there hasn't been any official update on any of these. At the end of last year WA indicated that they may start re-mastering the MGM Barney Bear cartoons but nothing since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks