What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Poor transfer quality of "Enigma?" (1 Viewer)

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a copy of "Enigma" (Damn good movie by the way. Its about English code breakers in WW2. Its a talkie, not the usual home theater demonstration stuff mind you, but worthy just the same.) Its in the proper 16.9 anamorphic widescreen, but with a lot of grain, very poor detail, and artifacts. Now this isn't bootleg bad, but on my 10 foot screen, well, lets just say that I have seen better. It was a previously viewed disc from a large chain rental store that I bought locally, so I assume its a legit copy. Anyone else get a soso quality transfer or read a review of the transfer?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I rented it, and it seemed alright to me. Of course I was pretty involved in the story (talky, like Billy said) but compelling nonetheless...It wasn't the greatest transfer, but it wasn't so bad it bugged me.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, this is a particularly bad transfer. Even the wife, who is very non-critical, asked me if we had bought a bootleg. And this was just on my little 50 inch - it must have looked horrid on 10 feet!!

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I've really been wanting to watch this one, but all the complaints have kept me away, as I'd be viewing on a 100" projection screen. I keep hearing rumors now and then about an "upcoming SE", but nothing definite. There have definitely been lots of reviews criticizing the video transfer on this DVD.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The current release of Enigma is, in my opinion, right up there with Highlander in terms of visual quality. It really is horrific, which is a shame when you consider how great the movie itself is. Count me in for a SE if the video is better.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As a further black eye to this disc, it is simply incompatible with my Toshiba 5700 DVD player. Several discs from different sources display 'Loading', but will not play.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but a guy in a video store told me the disc was flat-out defective and was being recalled/replaced...since I don't own a copy I never investigated the matter.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I've heard several instances of the disc just not working on certain players, as well. I also consider it one of the worst transfers of a new release I've ever seen, and I've watched over 2,000 DVDs in the past five years. Making matters worse, I rated "Enigma" as one of my top three films of 2002, so I was particularly angry when I watched it.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
ditto... I rented it and it was unwatchable qualitywise...

I am waiting for a rerelease...

D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Nastiest looking disc I've ever played, luckily I only rented it.

I was particularly dissapointed as it turned out to be a very good movie.

If a decent transfer comes out, I'll probably buy it.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I had heard there was to be a re-release sometime in 2003 so I gave my copy away unopened. Haven't seen anything yet, though.

Deane

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Great news! I can't imagine Columbia/Tri-Star screwing it up twice in a row, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Deane

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I guess it would be too much to ask for a Superbit version. It would make for a great before/after comparison.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
First review I've seen of the new special edition - thankfully it has a better transfer this time. Get your preorders in!

http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreviews4/enigmasedvd.html

I saw this film theatrically and it was never a clean looking film with several marks/haze on the print.

I love this movie - and it did very well here in Blighty at the box office.

Michael Apted has made several interesting films. I wish his early film P'tang Yang Kipperbang (released in 1984 in the US as Kipperbang) has a chance of a dvd release. It's another Apted jem of a film that hardly anyone has ever seen.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0084459

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this disc when it originally was released on DVD. I was unable to get it to play in either my Sony or Toshiba players. They just couldn't read the disc at all. I thought maybe the disc was defective and rented another different disc with the same results. I ended up watching the movie on VHS, ughhh. I will probably buy the SE edition because I enjoyed the film. I am a big fan of Kate Winslet. I hope the disc play error has been fixed.

Matt_P

Second Unit
The new SE looks very good. Still has some edge enhancement issues, but certainly up there with the rest of Columbia's releases. The trailer and the deleted scenes, however, look horrid....

The first release's cover art was considerably better than the SE's.

I have yet to check out the features.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I bought the new special edition - and would recommend it highly. Good commentary too - Michael Apted is a top director IMO.

The transfer is good - its extremely similar to what I saw theatrically - it has a 40s look to it and I am sure it was intentional - but there is plenty of detail.

I did notice some edge enhancement but its not too bad really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks