What's new

Polyfill? (1 Viewer)

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Where do you get polyfill at? I assume this is just the polyester cotton-like material that is somtimes found in cushions, etc? Craft store?

How full should you stuff a sub box? You don't want to cut off all air flow, right?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Walmart has the stuff. When you stuff, do not overdo it. Leave your ports clear and leave some cearance around your amp for cooling purposes.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I just bought the Audiosource 15 based on this site's forum and audioreview.com

Looks like I need to make some mods to the wiring from the amp to the driver and then add some fill.

I bought the 15 over the JBL 12 (horrible return and failure rate), Polk 150W 10, and the Dayton 10.

I was concerned the 10s would be too small when I moved into a house. I'm sure the 15 is overkill for my current setup.

Also, I don't have the killer media rooms like you guys yet so I'm holding off on the SVS etc. And my main need was for music, not home theatre.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
go to a fabric store

don't get ripped off by buying it from an electronics store

Jose G

Supporting Actor
So polyfill is really a cusion right? Its a big piece of foam somtimes called batting.
NO. Not foam or batting. Batting often has 80% cotton with some 20% poly. This stuff (no pun intended) is simply fiberfill. This comes from "Make a small box act like a larger one with polyester fiberfill"
By TOM NOUSAINE: There are three types of stuffing that are commonly used for this purpose: fiberglass insulation, long-fiber wool, and polyester fiberfill. Fiberfill is the best choice because it doesn't come loose and fly around and irritate your skin or lungs like fiberglass, it works as well as either of the others, it's a lot cheaper than wool, and moths hate it. I recently bought five 20-ounce bags of it at $1.99 a pop (a total of 6.26 pounds for $9.95) at Minnesota Fabrics; that turns out to be about $1.60 a pound. You should be able to find some at any fabric store or in the bedding section at friendly stores like K-Mart or Home Depot.

As for your using it to mod NOUSAINE says: A few rules of thumb: Stuff small enclosures – those with up to about 3 cubic feet of internal volume or less – with 1.5 pounds of fiberfill for each cubic foot of internal volume and you should get about a 30-percent increase in box volume without seriously affecting other performance variables. For larger enclosures, add stuffing at a rate of approximately 1 pound per cubic foot and you should get a virtual-space boost of about 25 percent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks