What's new

Upgrade Advice - Replacing Pioneer VSX-D912 (1 Viewer)

Mark Methenitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Methenitis
I got a VSX-D912 back in 2003, and I've been pretty happy with it. I need a second receiver in the house, so I thought it might be a good opportunity to upgrade and move that one to a pretty basic setup for 2 room audio.

Anyway, I've been pretty happy with the 912 since I got it. It's in a set up that has a pair of Athena AS-F1 fronts, AS-B1 rears, and an AS-C1 center, along with a Sony SA-WM500 (filled with polyfill, it actually sounds pretty good). It's primarily a gaming surround setup, occasional movies and occasional music. But the Pioneer has been solid in that setup.

Other items in the setup: Xbox360, PlayStation 3, TiVo HD, Nintendo Wii

I don't need anything too terribly fancy, and I'm trying to keep the budget below $500. My current list of contenders:

Sony STRDG820
Sony STRDG920
Pioneer VSX-1018AH
Onkyo TXSR606
Yamaha RXV663
Harmon Kardon AVR-254

In reading, seems like a lot of issues exist with the Onkyo 606 (notably overheating and sync). Sony is definitely the most bang for the buck at the 820, as I can probably live without the analog to digital video conversion (though it might be nice to have for setting up older legacy systems, i.e. NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.). Pioneer was a solid choice last time. I haven't been able to get much of a consensus out of the reviews I've read, so I'm hoping someone has some better insight on this choice. Thanks in advance.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Thing is, you usually only hear of the bad things about a receiver when you search. And, if you get your reports from Amazon Reviews and such, you only get to hear the bad things.

Dollar for dollar, IMO the 606 (or the 706 for about $500) is more feature packed than anything out there. I have a 705 and I heard all the horror stories (heat, hum, etc.) I can say I have had no issues.

Sony on the other hand, has had a bad rep for years. I personally did not have problems with my one Sony I owned in the 90's, but it seems to be pretty universally agreed that they are not the best.

I really liked my HK but unfortunately, they do not have a real competitor in this segment.

So I guess what I'm saying is the 606 (or 706) will make a very nice replacement for you.

Mark Methenitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Methenitis
I've just noticed that both the Marantz 4003 and 5003 can be had refurbished for below $500. Any thoughts on throwing those two into the mix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlanticshores
Recent bookmarks