What's new

Polyfil blocking the port of speaker(almost).. (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
I was trying to vaccum the dust inside the ports of my speakers (Kef Q35.2s) and for a moment I was distracted by the ringing phone and for a brief moment the hose got in totally, properly inside the port... I was curious if it moved the stuffing inside, so I looked through the port with a torch and saw that the stuffing was blocking half of the port inside the box, the other one is almost totally covered. (That one's driver was removed and tweeter was replaced though, so I can't check if it's normal). I remember reading that the ports shouldn't be blocked before stuffing my sub with polyfil. Is it normal the ports of my speakers are half blocked? I hope it wasn't the vacuum which caused it. I checked the black polyfil like stuffing with a stick touching it gently and it doesn't look like it is loose enough to move by vacuum but I can't be sure. Any opinions will be appreciated.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
If the polyfil is blocking the port, you could have excessive port noise (whoosing). If this bothers you, remove the woofer and move the stuffing out of the way.

Cagri

Second Unit
Well I am not willing to remove the drive unit unless I have to.. The one with the replaced tweeter has the wadding hanging inside the port, leaving no space between the drive unit and the port. The other is not like that, its port is blocked half way at sides of the hole.

AFAIK the port is there for the air created by the driver to move, and it seems that channel is non existant in this speaker but there's no difference in its sound compared to the other.

I am not going to do anything about it as there's nothing bothering me but I'm a bit confused to see this. I mean shouldn't it make a difference somewhere, like sound or SPL ?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Poly in the port shouldn't make too much difference, as the Poly will not STOP the air from moving in and out, it just slows down that movement, and this is part of the design of the speaker.

This should not affect SPL, but it may or may not contribute to port turbulence at high SPLs.

Stick a pencil or screwdriver in there and move the poly on one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks