What's new

Poll - Paradigm or Def Tech? (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I am about to purchase all new speaker package and was wondering what everyone who have heard both Def Tech and Paradigm prefer. I am thinking about Def Tech 30 / CLR2000 / BP2x or Paradigm (undetermined). I have heard a lot about the Paradigm monitors and the local dealer recommends the Studio series. This will be mostly for television / HT viewing, but also quite a bit of music. I know the two are quite different and really do not have a preference in the type of speaker as long as they sound good to me. What do you like best and why?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
It would certainly help if you had specific Paradigm speakers in mind.

I think the DefTech BP-30 is one of the best speakers one can buy (for a fairly reasonable price). I have a pair (along with the excellent CLR-2000 & a pair of BP -2000tl's).

If the application is mainly music I'd say give Paradigm's Studio line a hard listen...however, in your case the DefTech's ought to be superior (IMO). I love that bipolar sound for HT use.

Kelly,

I cannot comment on the speakers but for a Subwoofer from these two companies. I definately preferred the Paradigm Servo-15 over any of the DTech subs I listened to at the B&W dealer(Also a deftech dealer).

Good Luck!!

DonJ

Second Unit
I much prefer the Paradigm Monitors to Def Tec, but I would listen to both.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I find the Paradigm's a little more laid back compared to the DefTech. I would vote for the Paradigm.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
When I was speaker shopping I listened to both and preferred Paradigm. The Deftechs sounded too diffuse for my taste and application, which is roughly 50/50 music/movies, so I went with Paradigm Monitor series all around. I have since upgraded to Paradigm Studio series all around except for my PW-2200 sub, which still serves my purposes quite nicely.

As usual, do your own listening and let your ears decide.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I recently bought a pair of Def Techs Pro Tower 400's. I didn't like the bi-polar sound of the other Def Techs. The bass on these things hits tight, which is what I like, and the mids and highs are very nice.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Kelly, as you can see both speakers have a loyal following. Go listen to see which sound you like best.

I frequently see references to Def Techs needing to be quite aways off of walls for their best sound. Maybe someone can address this.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Assuming we're talking about the bipolar DefTechs. The ProMonitor series, for example, won't require this sort of space.

James Gallup

Agent
I've had DefTech speakers in various forms since 1995 and I agree that the further you can get them from walls etc... is good advice. They can be placed close to a wall with good success. I currently have BP30's that are 1 foot from the back wall, 15 inches from the side wall and 6 inches fron the "TALL" oak entertainment center that surrounds the TV. I was able to tame the bass using the individual crossover settings of my preamp and I still get the advantages/dis-advantages(depending on your point of view) of bipolar. Deftech speakers are great for me, but definitaley have a trial in your home.

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
I compared Paradigm and Def Tech. I want to listen music with my HT system, and the choice is a no brainer. Paradigm Reference Studio.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I also preferred the Paradigm Studios over the def techs. Actually, I preferred the Monitor Paradigms over the Def Tech.

However, let your ears be your guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks