What's new

Polk RTi 100's (1 Viewer)

Ed Kerns

Agent
Anybody have a take on these speakers? I'm shopping for new L/R speakers as an upgrade, and ran across a pair of these at what I think is a pretty great price - probably $450 a pair. They are display models and the store is anxious to move them. The only speaker in my system that they'd have to coexist with is a Def Tech sub.,the rest will all be swapped out eventually. The thing is, in the store, I didn't particularly like how the Polks sounded. I hasten to add that I heard them under the worst possible conditions, bad placement, bad amp and bad source material. The 'salesman' wasn't eager to drag them out and hook them up properly. His attitude was "hey, take them home, if you don't like them, bring em back" I live in an area quite a distance from much true Hi Fi selection so I'm shopping the big box stores. In that vain the speakers I heard that I liked best were Athena towers from Best Buy. For what it's worth, I'll be driving the speakers with an Onkyo amp at 100 watts a channel. Its been 20 years since I've replaced my main speakers - any advice is appreciated.

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
They look great, and I've heard good things about em. They have a nice 1" silk tweeter, and a nice 6.5" midrange for smooth mids, and a down-firing 6.5" powered woofer, all in a beautiful real wood veneer cabinet. 25hz-27khz response. I'm sure they would sound good, and match them up with a killer sub/surrounds/center, and you would have real nice setup. Your Onkyo would love em, I have one too, and they love efficient speakers, you could play them low and hear all the details and whatnot.
link to specs for Polk rti100's:
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Polk_Audio_RTi100

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator

That's the best way to find out how they will sound in your room. If they sound great then you win. If they don't, take 'em back. It will only be an inconvenience if you don't like them, but without auditioning them in your room how will you know? Did BB offer the same 'try them at home and if you don't like the way they sound bring them back' with the Athenas?

Ed Kerns

Agent
Thanks for the input guys. You're right of course that trying them in my house with my system is the only way to really know. I guess I was surprised because I didn't like them in the store and was wondering what this model's general reputation was. I honestly don't know what BB's return policy is on speakers. Excellent point. It's certainly possible that what I liked in the store, I wouldn't like at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks