What's new

Inching Ever Closer as My Budget Creeps Upward (1 Viewer)

rnuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Things are starting to gel on my path to 3.1 (with bookshelves; original budget around $800 total - hah! - for 50% music/50% ht). No purchases yet (well some cables and surge protector but nothing too exciting). The potential lineups:

Receiver:

Pioneer VSX-1020-K $370 (or less if the amazon price drops before the $50 coupon expires)

Possible Fronts:

Def Tech Promonitor 800 $290

Def Tech Promonitor 1000 $300 (open box at BB if still there)

Polk Audio RTI A1 $340ish

I listened to all of these with some of my own CD's. I liked the Def Techs but can't see using even the 1000s w/o a sub for music or ht. Heard them with and without a Def Tech Pro Sub 800 and with the sub they were sweet. Without they left me wanting, especially the 800s... Using the 1000s in 3.1 for spider man demo was impressive.

The RTI A1's on their own were nice; I think I may go for another listen. Did not get a listen to these in combination with center or sub but on their own they were certainly more range-y than the def tech 1000s were. Also not harsh or overly bright to my ear as some say of Polks.

Also still considering home trial on Axiom M2 or M3. Shying away from Aperion Intimus 4B becuase of specs (harder to drive?); listened to Boston CS26 and not impressed relative to others (sad because I liked my old A-150's)

Possible Centers:

Will be dictated by the choice of fronts - at this point one of:

Def Tech Procenter 1000 $220

Polk Audio CSi A4 $280

Axiom VP100 v3 $255

Possible Subs:

Since I am trying to keep it under $300 this kind of rules out SVS and Epic;

Thought about going cheap (BIC V1020, Dayton Sub-100, Velodyne VX-11) - all less than $200

Pushing my budget allows Velodyne Impact-10, Hsu STF-1

Pushing it more (probably too much) allows Elemental Designs A3S-250, Emotiva Ultra 10.

...and then there is the wildcard Lava Subs LSP10. I am seriously intrigued. With potential discount this is closer to $200 than $300 and from limited reviews/forums (at least on LSP12) is way more than stop-gap for the money.

Questions:

1. On the bookshelves - any (understandably subjective) opinions on definitive vs. polk vs. axiom - especially in light of 50% music?

2. On the sub - can I freely match any of these with the aforementioned LCR's? Or do I need to look more closely at the specs to assess ability to blend at probable cross-over points? I understand no issue here as far as timbre matching.

3. Overall sanity check - is this a make sense approach? Frankly my original budget is history - I'm now sailing towards around $1200 total and in fact will likely wait a bit on the center channel just to soften the blow. I am OK with this and can afford it but for that money is this a reasonable set of line-ups? In this range (especially if I add surrounds later) am I ignoring more cost-effective, equal-or-better performing options?

Sorry for the brain-dump! I greatly appreciate any advice!

Bob

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I can't help with your comparisons, but I definitely think your approach is solid. Slowing down the purchases to move from low end to solid performing products is definitely worth the wait. You can get by, and even enjoy, 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 as you build up. I'd even wait a bit on the sub and get the slightly higher performing models. I just recently tried to go low end and got my son a Polk sub and had to send it back - it was just too weak and muddied.

I didn't audition Polk or Def Tech, so this isn't worth much, but I absolutely love my Axioms. I do have to add that while both the M3s and M22 sound good, I like the M22 a lot more. It's probably a personal thing, but many recommend the M22s if you have a sub.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I found that when putting my system together that I had to double my speaker budget to achieve the sound quality I wanted. I came to the conclusion that it was better to do this rather than settle on something less expensive that I would not be happy with in the long. Also consider unless you by used equipment electronics and speakers you buy retail, are going to decline in value once you take them home.

DrSpill

Agent
Real Name
Moris K.
I just bought the Def Tech Promonitor 1000's/Procenter 2000's paired with a Bic F12 sub. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but they sound great to me and I would do it again. The only store near me was Magnolia, so I essentially compared whatever BB had to offer (I narrowed down to Energy's and Martin Logans) and ended up with the Def Tech's. I found by "online chatting" with various vendors, I was able to beat the msrp, for what its worth. If you're set on BB, I would ebay some "10 percent off" coupons.....they go for a few bucks on ebay and will save you 20 times that. Again, "FWIW" but my local BB matched online quotes I got for the Promonitor 1000's (but not the Procenter 2000, since they didn't carry it in stock).

Lastly, like you I was planning on doing a 3.1 and upgrading later, but found Jamo c400 surround dipoles at Vann's for $60 a pair. Perfect stopgaps, imo.

Good luck.

rnuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Thanks all! I've made some progress since my last post.

I got the Pioneer VSX-1020-K and hooked it up last weekend using my old speakers (Boston A-150s)

The Polk RTI-A1 are on the way - 30 day trial starts this week!

I'm also likely going to do a trial on Axiom M3 (and considering Aperion 4B and Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE if for some reason I am not satisfied with either the Polks or Axiom - seems unlikely though). (@Al - thanks for the tip on M22... I like these but they're a bit big for the spot where they'll live unfortunately - especially since there is a pair of M22 V2 Vassallos in knotty pine on the Axiom B-stock site!)

I've changed tactics a bit - I'm going to up my budget a bit on the sub since it seems to bring a few more well regarded models into reach, and wait on the center channel for now. I'm trying to narrow the field on a sub in the under $350 range which could integrate well with bookshelves in this league. My short list is:

Emotiva Ultra 10
Hsu Research STF-2
Elemental Designs A3S-250
Lava subs LSP10

SVS, Epic, Outlaw, and the step-up Hsu's were beyond my budget (of course as ever - the budget creeps. I better get this done soon!)

Been reading all the reviews and threads I can... But given what it is pairing with does anyone have any comparative opinions on these four subs?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Post the frequency response specs on each of the subs. Yes, they are manufacturer specs and not independent but they are all we have most of the time. That is the best way to determine how well the sub will perform.

rnuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Emotiva Ultra 10

($290 incl. shipping) 10" 200W RMS, 25-200Hz; Sealed, front-firing; ~13wx14dx13h; 5/5yr driver/electronics warranty; 30-day trial

Lava subs LSP10

($246 incl. shipping) 10" 150W, 22-200Hz; Front-ported, front-firing; ~13wx15dx17h, 5/5yr waranty; 30-day trial

Elemental Designs A3S - 250

($350+shipping) 10" 300W RMS, 25-100Hz; Sealed, front-firing; ~14wx14dx14h; 5/1yr warranty

Hsu Research STF-2

($360 incl. shipping) 10" 200W 25-???Hz; Rear-ported, down-firing; ~14wx18dx19h; 7/2yr warranty; 30-day trial

Polk RTI-A1 freq resp is 50Hz-26kHz (60Hz-26kHz +/-3dB)
Axiom M3 freq resp is 60 Hz- 20 kHz (+/- 3dB)

Seems like any would integrate OK with either the Polk or Axiom? And all are well regarded...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The price/performance leader in that group is Lava.

Personally, I wouldn't use a 10" in a sealed configuration because it wouldn't have enough SPL down low for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herodotus
Recent bookmarks