What's new

Polk LSi7's vs. Rti8's (1 Viewer)

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a local Polk dealer yesterday to see what they had in the store for me to listen to. Unfortunately they didn't have anything that I wanted to hear set up at the time. I told them about my listening to some RTi8's paired with Fxi3's and a Csi3 center. They proceeded to tell me about the LSi7. He said that the sound from these was amazing and I would definately like them (that's to be determined). He's going to setup a combo that I was talking about for me to demo on Saturday with the LSi7 fronts, the LsiC center channel and Fxi3 surrounds.

Other than the obvious difference in size when comparing the Rti8 to the Lsi7, what else am I going to notice that I might like or dislike. I know that Lsi series houses the high end polk tweeter that I've read good things about. Am I going to hear the same kind of full sound that I'm looking for out of the Rti8's with the Lsi7's?

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
I tried out the LSI 7's and 9's the other day and I really did not like them they sounded real muddy. They were not crisp at all just muddy sound. In my op they are not worth the money.

Joey_V

Second Unit
I have the LSi9 and the LSi7 and I must say that after listening to, owning, and comparing many other speakers (bookshelf and floorstanding)... I find that these LSi speakers are among the best purchases I have made to date.

The LSi7 and 9 are very good speakers. The highs are just right, not sibilant, nor are they in your face, the LSi tweeters (the Vifa xt25) retain the detail without being overbearing.

The bass response on these bookshelfs are just what you would expect from a bookshelf - lacking. However, I feel that this is not entirely true with the LSi9. I run the LSi9 without my SVS for music because they can simply belt out enough bass for my taste. The LSi9 extend low and are quick as heck.

The midrange is where the LSi7 falters. To me, the LSi7 seems to couple the high treble (voice usually) with the midrange and it comes out as if the instruments aren't as separated as much as I would like them to be. However, the midrange is still very adequate. However, the LSi9 have a much better midrange reproduction and deliver what I feel is much better instrument separation.

Lastly, the LSi7 are best used as monitors (perhaps as a discerning part of your 2 channel system). These guys image VERY well, perhaps better than anything in their price range and a few hundred above (except the sonus fabers concertino). The LSi7 cant play very loud, there is a hint of compression once I crank the volume above 95db. The highs become a little overbearing to my ears.

This is where the LSi9 separates itself from its smaller brother. The LSi9s have better control over its tweeter. The 9s can play much louder without the compression. It is very nice to hear the 9s play over 95db and not have the tweeters be overbearing and still sound just "right". For this reason, the 9s would probably make a better choice for HT than the 7s.

Perhaps you would be wise to consider the 9s instead of the 7s especially since you are leaning towards HT use.

For the record, the 7s and the 9s are not muddy at all.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Oh and regarding your question about the LSi7 matching the fullness of sound coming from the RTi8s.

Simple answer:
NO.

There is no way that a bookshelf can match a tower in terms of fullness of sound due to the fact that the bookshelf can never reproduce the bass a tower can (if tuned right).

Not the LSi7, nor the LSi9. Neither can match the RTi8's bass response.

You can even buy the $7,500 Wilson Audio CUB-II bookshelf and still not get the same bass response as the RTi8.

However, you will get better highs, and a more coherent overall sound from the LSi7 (much more so with the LSi9) than with the RTi8.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Dang it, third post!

I just found this and this should be very very very good news to you!

POLK RTI10 from tweeter is only....

179$ per pair!!!!

Thanksgiving special!

Go to tweeter.com to check it out, and run to the store now an GET IT.

I'm thinking about getting one now too.

Joey... Can you tell me where you saw that deal. That is an unbelievable price. I already have a pair connected to a Denon 3805. The two of them together really sings!

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I need to go and listen to the Lsi's again. Because when I heard them they sounded real muddy kind of like the sound you get from a fender hot rod deville when you have the gain and dist up on it thats the kind of muddieness i hear. But it could be that I listened to a set of Sonus Faber before i listened to these.

I'm with you on the LSIs Nick. I really didn't like the sound of them that much. I compared the LSi7 and RTi 4 and liked the RTi4 better. I didn't care for the tweeter on the LSi, it seemed too recessed for me. Of course I later went to another place and did an a/b with the Monitor Audio S1 and RTi4 and RTi6. I ended up buying the Monitor Audios because that RTi models seemed way too bright. And that is quite odd since last time I listened to the Monitor Audio S1's I didn't really care for them. Maybe they weren't broken in.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Dang, they took the ad down from their online store.... :frowning: .

Anyway, you should give the LSi another chance. With proper amplification and proper positioning (usually dealers have the speaker waaaay above ear level or not even tilted inwards towards the listener), the LSi7 will amaze you ONCE in the sweetspot.

I agree though, when listening to the LSi OUT of the sweetspot, the speakers sound muddy - but this is mostly due to the fact that the tweeter has poor off-axis response (being a vifa). However, this didnt bother me because when I listen - I listen only at the sweetspot anyway.

It may seem a bit recessed compared to the RTi, but the RTi is very sibilant when the volume is turned up a bit. Therefore, I feel that the vifa is a very good match to my ears.

One thing you must realize with the LSi, there is a volume threshold. You have to get over a certain volume to make these guys sing. AND with the LSi7, there is also a volume ceiling - at which the speaker begins to display compression.... not so with the LSi9.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Note that the LSi mid-woofers take incredibly long to break in due to the stiffness. Very muddy bass and lacking the quickness and definition they have when broken in. They don't really improve significantly for 2-3 weeks with casual everyday listening and should be fully broken in by 6-8 weeks.

I'd skip the 7's and go with the 9's, better frequency response and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks