Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

Police Squad! The Complete Series Blu-ray Review
policesquadtop-1024x766.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Because "M Squad" was a forgotten series to most people in the early 1980s, a lot of people didn't realize that "Police Squad" was doing a direct parody of that show specifically in the way "Airplane" did with the movie "Zero Hour." The jazzy theme music opening credits is a total steal of the Season 2 "M Squad" opening, and one episode of "Police Squad" in fact totally cribbed the dialogue of an "M Squad" episode with hardly a change!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Because "M Squad" was a forgotten series to most people in the early 1980s, a lot of people didn't realize that "Police Squad" was doing a direct parody of that show specifically in the way "Airplane" did with the movie "Zero Hour." The jazzy theme music opening credits is a total steal of the Season 2 "M Squad" opening, and one episode of "Police Squad" in fact totally cribbed the dialogue of an "M Squad" episode with hardly a change!

That's exactly what they did with the dialog from Zero Hour. It's really hard to watch that movie after seeing Airplane due to the massive amounts of lifted dialog. You hear it in Zero Hour and in your mind see the visuals from Airplane.

Now I'm going to have to look for some episodes of M Squad...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I rewatched The Naked Gun tonight since I hadn't watched it in probably a decade, but seeing Police Squad! again whetted my appetite for the absurd. Very funny but I don't think George Kennedy or O.J. Simpson are patches on Alan North and Peter Lupus. SOme of the gags in the film are lifted straight from Police Squad! including Big Al with the piece of banana on the side of his mouth. I missed Johnny as the informant.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched Police Squad when it was new on TV, and loved it. I was glad to see it revived as a movie several years later. Waiting on my blu-ray to arrive this week.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I watched every episode of POLICE SQUAD! in high school and remember thinking it was doomed for being too smart for TV. I wish the disc included John Belushi's guest star cameo of him in a pool, which was cut for obvious reasons but might be his last filmed appearance? I also prefer the Leslie Nielsen of the series to the films, who acted more aware than the TV's Drebbin's focused idiocy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't have any of the films on Blu-ray, so I bought the three-pack and will reacquaint myself with them over the next week or so. So many things I want to watch.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have this series on DVD and have watched it for years. My question is whether or not it benefits enough from being on Blu ray to replace the set. Except for being able to count everybody’s nose hairs, is there any advantage to the new format?

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
It's a shame the Naked Gun blu ray set didn't get new transfers, or add any new content, or even bring over the commentary tracks from the DVDs.

I didn't have any of the films on Blu-ray, so I bought the three-pack and will reacquaint myself with them over the next week or so. So many things I want to watch.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have this series on DVD and have watched it for years. My question is whether or not it benefits enough from being on Blu ray to replace the set. Except for being able to count everybody’s nose hairs, is there any advantage to the new format?
Well, as I said in the review, there are no new bonuses, but I could see a difference in quality (my TV would upconvert the HD signal; to 4K), and that was important to me. This is the best one of my favorite shows of all time will look. Your mileage may vary.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the second Naked Gun film tonight on Blu-ray. It's coming back to me now that the quality of the films decreased with each sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks