What's new

Plight of Asian films in the US (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ang Lee geared CTHD towards Western audiences, Infernal Affairs wasn't. Sony Pictures Classics had their head up their ass when House of Flying Daggers entered theaters. I didn't see ONE television commercial for it. I saw so many commercials for Hero, and yet none for HOFD, and I consider HOFD to be more mainstream. It seems that Quentin Tarantino is the only man in Hollywood who understands how to promote foreign films to the public. Miramax and Sony Pictures Classics don't have a clue as to what the public wants. C'mon, I've seen 100 promotions for Alone in the Dark, you're telling me House of Flying Daggers doesn't have a chance against a movie directed by one of the worst directors of our time?

Nick C.

Second Unit
Well, ALONE has De Niro and the "horror" genre behind it (quotes to indicate Hollywood bastardization), whereas HOUSE has a bunch of virtually nameless Chinese cast (face it, Zhang Ziyi would barely be selected for supporting roles even if some casting director loved her, a la RUSH HOUR 2), not to mention, the kung-fu genre might be one of those enjoyed only in moderation (HERO was only a few months ago)... like the sandal-epics TROY and ALEXANDER, people can only take so much of the GLADIATOR clones before getting tired of them (no matter how high, or low, the quality). Who knows, maybe come year end with MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA garnering awards, Zhang Ziyi may become a bona fide star. By the way, I saw many TV ads for HOUSE, so I assume it's the size of your market... I live in a large market in the Bay Area.

As for why INFERNAL (the original) wasn't a hit, I'm guessing the genre and lack of star power has something to do with it... Why seek out a subtitled crime drama of no-names when you go go to the nearest multiplex and watch a crime/thriller like COLLATERAL, MAN ON FIRE, etc. with recognizable stars, not to mention I saw very little press for INFERNAL (only in print, no television or billboards, etc.). Finally, with Scorsese et al remaking it and the company in shambles (Weinsteins leaving), maybe Miramax just gave up on giving it a proper push.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
You're thinking about "Hide and Seek". Alone in the Dark stars Christian Slater and Tara Reid. :)

Nick C.

Second Unit

Oops, :b Nonetheless, the points still apply, name recognition and lame-o "horror"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks