What's new

Please Post 100 replies for this Title!!!!The Five Heartbeats (1 Viewer)

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm counting .. .. ..
biggrin.gif

Peter Staddon
------------------

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
No question, "The Five Heartbeats" should be on DVD hopefully with DTS and commentaries including Robert Townsend of course.

C'mon fellow forum members. I'm buying "Say Anything" and "Zardoz" to show support. Can I get some love for this movie in return?

Obviously Not!!!!
Mr Staddon due to the lack of interest in African American films on DVD in other forums a site was created called Link Removed I have started a campaign for "The Five Heartbeats" there as well and I know the thread will generate more interest than the one I have started here.
With all due respect to the HometheaterForum I would like to direct you to the site by the link I have provided below. It would be really nice if you could peek in sometimes to see what matters to African Americans on DVD.
Thanks in Advance!!
Link Removed In the Studio Feedback section of the forum.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I too am eagerly awaiting this film on DVD. As a matter of fact I was the one who posed this question to Mr. Staddon in the last FOX Home Theater Chat we had and I think his response was "will get them all out eventually"! Was thinking that 2 years ago Fox released a lot of Black oriented films like Waiting to Exhale and Soul Food in June of that year. If I recall the Alien Legacy also came out that month! Maybe time to do it again?
The Five Heartbeats was a film that kinda had a small box office when releases but seems to have taken a life of it's own! I really don't know too many contemporaries that don't already have this on VHS or at least have seen it. I'd dare say that it's one of the more popular movies in the African-American community!
What makes Five Heartbeats work is that it celebrates a era of music that was one part innocent but another part cultural phenomenom! It's obviously patterned after the Temptations (though the Dells where the technical advisors)and the music celebrates that era. Songs like Heart is a House for Love, Nothing but Love and Nights like this have become household staples! The music is only part of what made the film. The relationship between young guys that had a dream, the sacrifices made, the conflicts and ultimately the resolutions make this story work. Extra credit has to go to Robert Townsend and Keenan Ivory Wayans for the script and the performance of Michael Wright (boy, I hope I didn't get his name wrong)!
I think that Fox would be surprised by the numbers of people that would buy this disc. Would it be a top seller, probably not, but it would sell beyond whatever expectations they may have. I myself would buy it in a heartbeat!
Now that we've expressed that we'd like it lets say what we want! I'd personally like to see the following:
5.0 or 4.0 soundtrack
Robert Townsend commentary
Whatever EPK material is left over (a new doc would probably be too much to ask for)
Trailers
Music Videos (Afer 7 and The Dells)
This is definitely a film that merits being on DVD
Any more suggestions?
David
------------------

Thanks for your post David. Speaking of Soul Food it would be nice to see that re-released with the commentary included on the Laserdisc, but since this movie is already released it would be nice to have FHB released first and Soul Food revisited.
------------------
View MShannon's DVD Collection

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with this movie. Is it one of those life stories of the musicians like The Temptations, La Bamba, and The Buddy Holly Story? If so, I'd buy it in a minute. These are great stories and movies.
Deane

Deane, it is a fictional story about a group similar to the Temptations, but the story is told so well you would think it was an true story. If you like the kind of films you mentioned you would love this movie. :)

Now that we had a Paramount Rep join the forum. The studio-feedback forum is flooded with Paramount request. I'm shooting my FOX request back to the top. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I didn't like The Five Heartbeats all that much so I won't post a re.............DOH!
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Why do you think I believe what you've said?
Few of your words ever enter my head"

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I didn't care for WaterWorld and Hook but they are available on DVD. So it just goes to show studios don't always use quality as the number one criteria to determine which titles to release.
BTW "The Five Heartbeats" is a much better movie than those and many others that are already out on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks