What's new

Please Paramount 3 disk version of Nemesis (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I really want to see the 45 min of deleted scenes in the movie. I'd pay a bit more for a 3 disk version. Theatrical cut on Disk 1. Extended Cut on Disk 2. And extras on Disk 3.
Please Make it so !

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Please be careful which ones you restore. Please DO NOT restore all 3 of the Troi mindf*ck parts into the body of the film. Frankly in script form they were making me bang my head into the wall

Please DO re-insert things like the explanation of why Worf is on the Enterprise and the explanation of Shinzon's disease(which should have never been cut) and the Wesley scenes.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Hmm ... is that why the storyline seemed so internally inconsistent? I never knew about these cut scenes until reading about them today. So much in this film made no sense, or was introduced (like the mind power against Troi) only to promptly disappear from the plot after the introduction, that I now suspect a lot of essential script was cut. For time?

I would not buy the DVD without the added scenes (my first pass on a ST movie DVD), so I do hope the DVD will be released with an improved cut of the film which would definitely make me interested in it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why can't the 2 versions be on one disc, seamlessly branched?

I find it hard to see Paramount do a 3-disc edition of this film, especially since they use 2-disc editions very sparingly. Perhaps a 2-disc edition which has two versions on disc one and extras on disc two would work better.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Boy does this movie need scenes put back in it to improve it. The film was good but it seemed really choppy.

It was paramounts decision to cut the film down of character moments to get more mainstream audiences in there but I am affraid their gamble didnt work. Now give us the character moments.

Chris M

Second Unit
The movie was okay, but I agree, add in the parts that were missing, they sound like they should never have been cut!

Chris.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mikel_Cooperman wrote:

No! They cut the film down mostly for the same reason they always do: to bring it in at a running time that will allow them to get at least so-and-so-many showings per day, especially in the first two weeks, when the studios receive a 70-30 (?) split in the gross revenues from ticket sales.

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
To the Powers That Be...
If you're out there reading, please know that this franchise is as ripe as ever. More discussion goes on in our break room about Star Trek and other great cult series than anything else. We are legion and we have money to spend!
Incidentally - I sell DVD for a living and I just quadrupled predicted sales for the first month of the release of Eddie Izzard "Dress to Kill" for my store which is in the Midwest. If I can play a British transvestite in Peoria, imagine what I and other members of the Forum could do for "Nemesis" if we have confidence in the product. Word of mouth is strong in the DVD community - I'm already spreading the word to those who missed "Nemesis" in the theaters in favor of the following release of "Two Towers" (bad timing, you think?) If you will give this project the treatment that it deserves on DVD, I would be happy to toss one into every basket.

Oh, and ditto on restoring the Wil Wheaton scenes. Crusher has always interested me, especially as regards his dubious exit from the cast in the TV series. That seemed to be heading in an interesting direction. And kudos to Spiner and the other writers for the clever way Mister Data has been revitalized. Great twist!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have to imagine that Paramount is going to do a bare bones Nemesis release. The film is performing oh-so-poorly at the box office, and for good reason. It's BAD.

I personally would buy it if they treated it will, with the suggested 3 disc edition. I'm pretty sure I'd skip a bare bones edition.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I expect Nemesis will get the Special Edition Treatment probably from the Get go, although I would'nt rule out a fairly bare bones disk and a 2 Disk Spec Edition later, especially since they have to still go thru Insurrection with the Spec Ed's and they are just now at The Voyage Home.

I Honestly still don't get the hatred of this film. I don't remember seeing this much hatred directed toward even the Final Frontier or Insurrection and clearly Nemesis is better than those. I See all these charges that the characters are out of character etc and I just don't see it.
Scotty Getting knocked unconscious is out of character. Crusher and Troi talking about their Boobs are out of character. Worf with a zit is inanity that is out of character.

Could Nemesis have been better you bet. But if you look at the way the Fans Nitpick about every little detail the Producers are decidedly backed into a corner they can never get out of, even if they produced the holy grail of Trek Scripts the fans would find something to bitch about. I Half expect them to be sitting in the Audience with the Trek Encyclopedia trying to look up and dispute every aspect of the movie, that they forget to just enjoy what's up there.

The problem with the Trek format on the screen is that TNG was at it's best a show that benefitted from a neat little story with great character moments. When that show has to be translated to the big screen and a major studio has to put $$$ Behind it, that little show has to become an action vehicle to compete with other action vehicles. The suits are beyond realizing the fans would rather Trek to be a thoughtful sci fi story with action elements. Myself I can go both ways and thats why I enjoyed Nemesis.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
They should make the Nemesis DVD seamlessly branch into the best parts of The Wrath of Khan, since that's what this crappy movie was trying so hard to be.
And they should release Star Trek V with the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment that's never seen the light of day. Now that I'd pay real money for!
As for being out of character, the entire Star Trek concept was tossed out the window when they had Picard and his mates running a dune buggy with a Gatling gun and blasting alien nasties on a pre-warp civilization planet. That was some of the worst SHIT I've seen yet from this series. It was like something out of those old Gold Key Star Trek comics that had Kirk and crew beaming down to some alien planet and spending the rest of their visit firing salvos at monsters, with VOP! VOP! VOP! sound effects drawn in with huge, ziggy lettering. This is not what Star Trek is supposed to be about.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Two discs, year, but Three?
I want all the good Character stuff added in that they took out to appeal to a "Wider Audience"!

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
A heads-up on possible Nemesis DVD content:

Sci Fi Pulse interview by Ian M. Cullen
dateline: 12 January 2003

(Note some of the producer's general attitudes toward his "franchise".)

Quote:

In regards to the Nemesis footage that was cut, specifically the in joke about seat belts. [Rick] Berman was a little bemused---which is to say amused--- in regards to having to make that cut to the movie in order to make it the right length for the studio. "I've always thought it was silly that the characters on all of the series were bounced around and grabbing a hold of things to steady themselves. It seemed to me that seatbelts or some kind of restraints would be an obvious thing, but it was never like that on The Original Series or The Next Generation."

"As everyone knows, the first cut of Nemesis was too long and we had to lose a bunch of stuff. That scene was lost because it was a non-dramatic part of a series o[f] endings that lightened up mood after the major revelations. It was a tension-breaking scene and it was good, but we had to let it go to maintain the emotional payoff and improve the pacing of the ending. So that scene went, along with another wonderful scene of Picard meeting Riker's (Jonathan Frakes) replacement (Steven Culp)."

To many Star Trek fan's Rick Berman is perceived as being somewhat of a spoil sport when it comes to releasing any blooper reels from Star Trek. Now, with Nemesis being the first Star Trek movie to come out in the age of the DVD[, i]s there the slightest chance that we may see some blooper footage, or even the second violation scene which features Marina Sirtis as (Troi).

"We will not see it in the first DVD, I don't think, because that's in the works. On the other hand , it might very well happen, as extras, not as footage cut back into the film. I don't think Stuart is crazy about doing it. It's a decision we'll all make and it's not a decision that's been made final yet.

"But it's wrong to say I'm opposed to such things. I have been opposed to gag reels simply because Star Trek is something that always borders on the silly. You've got actors walking around in prosthetic masks.

"You've got people flying at impossible speeds and spaceships defying gravity. You've got a lot of things that are accepted, but that are almost scientifically ridiculous. It's so easy to turn it into a parody. I've been asked to put together an Enterprise blooper reel for a CBS project, and I agreed to do it. So I'm loosening up a little in that area. And a lot of the reason we didn't do blooper reels for The Next Generation was that Patrick was very opposed to them as well."

More of this Q&A session with Rick Berman is available to read in the new issue of Star Trek: Monthly which will be available at all good news outlets on the 17th of January if not earlier depending on what city you live in.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
"We will not see it in the first DVD, I don't think, because that's in the works. On the other hand , it might very well happen, as extras, not as footage cut back into the film. I don't think Stuart is crazy about doing it. It's a decision we'll all make and it's not a decision that's been made final yet.
This "first DVD" thing worries me a little. I really hope the Nemesis release is done correctly, as a 2-disk SE with as many cut scenes as possible.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Paramount: Just want to say that I hope you do not double-dip on this one by releasing a 2-disc version Super Special Edition down the road...
I'm sure that is exactly what they will do. Why sell it to us once when they know that a lot of people will buy twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks